HybridZ

8-lug rear hubs...

MaliceIntent

I, like a lot of other people, have rims with the two 4 lug patterns on them. was just curious if there is room on the rear hubs to drill and add 4 more lugs to fill the rim pattern giving myself 8 lugs of strength. I know its a bit much, but its better than 4, and my rims will support it.

Has anyone tried this? is it even possible??

the two bolt patterns on "universal" rims aren't always the same two bolt paterns.

Some are 4x108 and 4x114.3 some are 4x100 and 4x114.3 some are 4x100 and 4x108 and some are...well you get the point.

This idea while unique could ultimately backfire on you...what if you decide to change wheels and the new wheels don't have the same 2nd bolt pattern? What if you find that ultra rare super wheel you've always wanted and it's only drilled for the proper 4x114.3? Also drilling a second set of studs into the hub creates 4 new failure points for the hub to potentially fail. Yes there's room for them but is there adequate distance between them? I'd think about this idea a little more before you pull the trigger on it. If the wheels already fit why mess with anything? I could understand tapping out the current studs, welding the holes, and redrilling for something like say a 4x100 bolt pattern and have that as the ONLY studs on the hub to run a wider variety of wheels but that's about the extent that I'd go to and I'd only do that to run some of the Axis Racer-X wheels in a -27 offset :)

racer-x8rose.jpg

Why do people thing that 4 lugs are not strong enough?

Everytime this gets posted I am always baffled. I don't think the studs are the weak point here, there are lots more failure points along the line before your studs.

The only reason I see to go to a 5 is to get better wheel choice, maybe thats just me :hs:

Why do people thing that 4 lugs are not strong enough?

Everytime this gets posted I am always baffled. I don't think the studs are the weak point here, there are lots more failure points along the line before your studs.

The only reason I see to go to a 5 is to get better wheel choice, maybe thats just me :hs:

Cheap wheels will always break, before the studs.

I know that the two patterns are different, just as I know there are other parts of the drivetrain that are weaker. I was only considering the idea for the rear. I will be upgrading to the VLSD R200 and half-shafts(CVs) in the rear for better traction and strength for my SBC. I do not plan on changing the rims on the car, ever, so i thought it might help hold the possible 400 pound feet of torque better. If you guys say its not necessary, or that it will only weaken the hub itself, then i will toss the idea aside. That's why I asked; Negative comments in response are not desired nor necessary.

Thank you to those who answered my questions.

BTW, itsadatsun240: those are some sexy ass rims (: