HybridZ

Shopping for qualified sandblaster

280z4me2

I know the metal on the s30 is paper thin in many areas. Trying to find a sandblaster to take care of the hard to reach areas including the engine bay.

Have you guys ever had a bad experience with paying a sandblaster? Anyone ever completely eff up the body of your car? Should I stop worrying about it and just go for it? :burnout:

Any decent sandblaster should be able to handle it. If you use the correct media and just common practice of not staying in the same place, it's easy. I've blasted my car at a local blaster who lets you rent his booth/cabinets by the hour (way cheaper than paying for them to do it). They provided the media and gave me some instruction on how to use the equipment. It was really easy and the outcome was great. This was with 0 experience and just watching my friend for 15mins and a few tips. If I can do it with 0 experience, than anyone should be able to repeat my results, especially if it's their job.

Personally I haven't heard any bad experiences, but I'd like to hear what others have heard/experienced.

I know the metal on the s30 is paper thin in many areas. Trying to find a sandblaster to take care of the hard to reach areas including the engine bay.

Have you guys ever had a bad experience with paying a sandblaster? Anyone ever completely eff up the body of your car? Should I stop worrying about it and just go for it? :burnout:

Yes, I had a car practically ruined by a guy that sand blasted cars all the time. I could have surfed in the waves he made in the body.

Jeepers!!!! Dont sand blast the car if you dont have too. There are safer alternatives that wont ruin your Z. I havent seen an entire car messed up but I did see a pair of perfect doors turned wavy.

Plastic meda blasting works very well, CO2 is an option and then there is the old standby ......baking soda.

If you do end up sand blasting stay away from the body panels and keep to the "hard to reach areas".

I used BlackMagic, which is coal slag. That's what me and a few people I know used with good results. Haven't used any different types of media before. I've carefully used this media in one of those harbor freight blasting cabinets, with an industrial air compressor, to remove the chrome plating on the plastic taillight panel on the back of my z. I think it comes in different abrasiveness, depending on your needs.

I used BlackMagic, which is coal slag. That's what me and a few people I know used with good results. Haven't used any different types of media before. I've carefully used this media in one of those harbor freight blasting cabinets, with an industrial air compressor, to remove the chrome plating on the plastic taillight panel on the back of my z. I think it comes in different abrasiveness, depending on your needs.

It's Black Beauty! At least that is the brand I buy.

• 2 weeks later...