HybridZ

1977 l28 will not start, help me

Guest liljoe280

Guest liljoe280

i bought a 77 280z. I will not start, the fuel pump is not working, so i sprayed starter fluid in the intake and it still won't run. i am getting a spark from the spark plug wires, timing chain is not broke. Also cannot not find the location of the fuel pump relay. i know it is on the passenger kick panel area. PLEASE HELP.

• 3 weeks later...

ok is the spark regular or erratic? ais it cranking or is nothing happening? can you hear the fuel pump trying to engage when the key is turned to on? I am getting spark from my distributor but it is a random and erratic spark so the car wont start or idle correctly. more details please.

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same damn problem with my L28, with all of your symptoms. Even tried the spray too. Here's what fixed mine: check the magnetic pickup inside the distributor. It's the ring-shaped device with little triangular studs around the rim, with the cog-shaped reluctor at its center (attached to the distributor shaft itself.) Mine had cracked and needed to be replaced. Once this was done my car fired right up.

Get someone to turn the car to the on position. Not start. You (not a friend) listen for the fuel pump to turn on. If it doesn't turn on then you need to check the relay. It doesn't matter what the spark plugs are doing if the pump does not turn on.

Don't even think of looking at the injectors until you get the fuel pump working.

The fuel pump supplies power to the injectors according to the FSM . You should also be able to hear the relay click when the key is turned on. Next to the fuse panel in the passenger foot well. If that does not click then it could be several things. Fuse, ECU ground. Power to the relay. If it's power to fuel pump relay then look at the FSM to see where power is coming from. I have a 75z and it has a connection from the oil pressure switch to the fuel pump relay. If the switch does not detect pressure then the relay will not come on. Safety measure to keep from running the engine with no oil in it.

In a 75Z the fuel pump is turned on by the AFM. Turn the key on and manually open the AFM butterfly and you should hear the pump come on. If not run 12Volts to the power wire on the pump and see if it comes on. If not replace pump. $20 at Pick A Part or $220 at the dealer. I made that mistake. You can also use a pump out of a BMW and a few other cars that have a external pump. I am using one out of a BMW 633 to run my LT1 because it is strong and QUIET. And cheap!