HybridZ

CWC CAM Question (shape of billet)

Tony D

CWC Cam Inquiry for those that have them:

There is a 'holding' area on the cam, on the stock Nissan (JAPAN) cores, this is two knobs protruding from the stick.

Is the CWC the same two 'knobs'? Or is it another shape?

The reason I'm asking is that I was lead to believe that CWC (the largest OEM supplier) was the ONLY place to get cam blanks, short of turning your own. I was told the original supplier in Japan had finished their run, and no more JAPAN cores were available.

Well, now I'm in Japan. I'm seeing cams which are OBVIOUSLY not ground on a stock core...their 'holding lugs' are HEXAGONAL.

Curiously these blanks have JAPAN on them, but they are NOT OEM Nissan Cams as they have 'the two knobs'...

These cams do not have CWC on them, either.

Maybe it's just me who is interested in this development, but if cams are available with the original process... I'm in for a gross! LOL

So, CWC cam guys, what's your 'holding lug' configuration? Confirm my suspicions that, HUZZAH, us L-Guys have a possibility of TWO aftermarket cam blank supplies...

Tony, I have never seen an L6 cam with holding lugs on it. I have 6 cams stockpiled, and none have a holding lug. All say JAPAN on them.

The two L4 cams, however, have the holding lugs.

Like you said, if you can find some cam blanks, let us know! I'd be down for two, as long as they have appropriate metallurgy.

My cams have a set of two 'lugs'... Can you post a photo of your L6 "JAPAN" camshafts (or one at least).

I'm sure the L6 cam has 'lugs' along its length between one set of the lobes. It's where I stick my big crescent wrench to turn the cam from time to time...

What I'm looking for is what the CWC cams have shapewise in that same area, as I mentioned, here in Japan there is a "JAPAN" new blank with a HEX there, and I don't think they are Nissan OEM. If they are the OEM supplier, either we have all been lied to, or someone started up production again (more likely) for at least a limited production run, and changed the casting a bit for differentiation.

• Administrators
Tony, I have never seen an L6 cam with holding lugs on it. I have 6 cams stockpiled, and none have a holding lug. All say JAPAN on them.

These are the lugs Tony is talking about...

CamLugs.jpg

I have never seen an L6 that didn't have them (which means I haven't seen the hex that Tony is looking for, either).

Thank gawd I'm not insane. Those are the lugs I'm talking about.

Now, does CWC have the same style lugs.

If it does, and they don't use a HEXAGONAL CASTING in that area, I'm ordering one of these cams, and going to try to get my interpreter (an MX5 guy who noticed my "MSA 2009" shirt right away in the airport...) to ask about information on cam core or blank sourcing. This indeed means someone in JAPAN is still making aftermarket blanks! I don't need to find one with a Hex, I found them...I just want to make 100% positive before I start asking for favors here that I'm barking up a worthy tree!

I get woood. I get wooooood thinking of this stuff, it's so exciting! Where's my inflatable sheep? I need a release...

I was present at the Australian Muscle Car Masters Event at Eastern Creek this past year for the Kiwi-Oz shootout. During that time, no doubt some of the Kiwi rubbed off on me (or was that a Kiwi Rubbing off on me?)

Like Lanolin or Wool. It's persistent. Once it gets on you, it won't get off...

And yes, I DO travel with an inflatable sheep for entertainment purposes. I wonder what the TSA guys think when they see the world-worn sheep in there. I crave a pin camera to record housekeeping when the half-inflated night buddy is left half under the covers on the hotel bed. Sometimes its in a chair with the bed made up. Sometimes it's on the pillows. Sometimes (once) it was reinflated and put on a pillow on a chair in the room. I can only wonder the looks on the faces of the maids...

I have not got so disgusting so as to put soft-soap near the orifice...yet...

So "A" Early cam likely Nissan Early Production (NLA) so that begs the question, what does the CWC Cam Look Like

(Which was the point of the post.)

Doubt it's hexagonaly oriented, and it doesn't have 'Japan' on it...

But a confirmation they have lugs (or don't) is the purpose of the post.

Bueller?