HybridZ

82 280z 2+2 replacement turbo

snoboa13

Guest Rolling Parts
I just got my 82 2+2 and the turbo is doa. what could i use as a replacenment turbo fairly cheap just so i can get it running and possibly drive around a bit?

Well, eBay or classifieds here for an iffy used one for $100.

A rebuild of what you have is only around $200.

If you don't even have $100-$200 then the car will drive well enough without the turbo if all you want is transportation.

Guest Rolling Parts
well the guy that has it now says he isn't sure if the turbo can be rebuilt...

Take it someplace that knows turbos then and find out; otherwise eBay a used one or JY or classifieds or drive without for a while.

does anyone know if any turbos out of any other cars will work cause i haven't found a z in a junkyard around here and i heard the ebay cheap turbos weren't very realiable. i'm looking for something to replace the one i have cause the guy said he is pretty sure that its not rebuildable.

I'd listen to Rolling Part's advice about getting a cheap T3 [that's what your car came with] on here or elsewhere online. I'm using a used T3 [off of a 280ZX] that I got off ebay, I'm running 8 lbs of boost and it works like a champ.

You sound like you don't want to spend too much money, and most likely, if you go with another T3 that isn't for the S130, the exhaust system will need to be changed.

On the other hand, I do know that the 80's Merkurs have T3s on the XRTis, but I would imagine they would be very hard to find.

Also, Z31s [early 300ZXs, like the red car in my sig], have T3s, but they are watercooled and might need some modification, and the exhaust is different as stated above.

Also, where in Oklahoma are you? I'm about 2 hours east of Tulsa.

well right now i'm just trying to get it running so i can get it out of where it is right now. but eventually i'm gonna end up doing more work to it. i live in mannford about 45 mins west of tulsa. i am gonna end up redoing the exhaust to completely to 3 inch. i am doing a little bit of a budget build here. i picked up a srt4 intercooler stuff like that. i'm just trying to have a little fun and slowly fix here up. i mean i traded a 77 cadillac coupe deville for it so it wouldn't get chopped up and v8ed haha.

well right now i'm just trying to get it running so i can get it out of where it is right now. but eventually i'm gonna end up doing more work to it. i live in mannford about 45 mins west of tulsa. i am gonna end up redoing the exhaust to completely to 3 inch. i am doing a little bit of a budget build here. i picked up a srt4 intercooler stuff like that. i'm just trying to have a little fun and slowly fix here up. i mean i traded a 77 cadillac coupe deville for ita so it wouldn't get chopped up and v8ed hah.

:shock: You do know this is a Z Car V8 swap website, right? I'm doing a LSX swap in a year or two :icon45:

Anyways if you're ever over our way shoot me a message.

And if you need any random parts I might have something for you, feel free to ask.

Also, does the car not start at all? The turbo might not be bad and the guy might just be throwing out random explanations for why it's not running.

• 2 weeks later...