HybridZ

280zx sbc with th-350 trans no top end need overdrive

I have th-350 tran with no overdrive and no top end i either need 700r4 oe 336 rear end let me know what i should do . i just finished v8 conversion or so i thought please help me with any pointers.

3.36 is a 180R which is a little weak for a v8, plus not much better gear ratio than a 200r 3.54 (stock 75 to 78 diff)

7000 rpms with 3.54 will get you to 140 mph. Maybe you just need a bigger cam. A bigger cam will make the engine feel smoother at higher rpms.

I helped fab a 2.87 gear (1980 vette diff) in to a 77 Z. The taller gear made the car feel heavy. your better off with adding an OD (700r) than dropping the gear ratio.

A GM T5 (5 spd manual) from a V8 camaro would be a better choice than a 700r. A z should have a manual trans (imo). I ran a 700r in my V8 conversion then later switched to a T5. I enjoyed the T5 much more.

if you run a 700r, make sure to setup the TV cable correctly.

I agree with the z as far as going 5 speed, but then he has to get flywheel, clutch, clutch pedal installed, etc, etc, etc. Probably not a cost effective route. The 700r4 isn't all that great of a transmission in stock form IMO, but it works if the motor is pretty stock. I have one in my z with the 4.3L. They really make a big difference in cruising on the highway.

Kirk-

If you decide to stick with an auto tranny, check out the 200-4R. While many people may prefer the 700-R4, it will require a driveshaft mod (the 700-R4 is longer than your TH350) and has a different gear spread than the 200-4R....which may or may not work well for you.....depends on your goals for the project. The 200-4R was popular in 1980's Chevys and Buick V-6 turbos, if you decide to go looking on Craigslist or other auto websites.

Check out Bowtie Overdrive's website...they have a ton of good tech info for someone considering automatic overdrive transmissions.

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml

Good luck and happy motoring.

jhm

Today i adjusted my shift points because of shifting to early. but 3000-3500 rpm guess at about forty mph in 3rd i think still not much top end. Tomm ill let my boss drive and see what he thinks. He was the one that told me about the shifting to early . I feel first shift good 2nd barley and then get up to 40 mabey 3rd does not work? Maybey i am not feeling 2nd?:burnout:

• 1 month later...
I have th-350 tran with no overdrive and no top end i either need 700r4 oe 336 rear end let me know what i should do . i just finished v8 conversion or so i thought please help me with any pointers.

The 2004-R is great trans, but needs a little help. Chris at http://www.CKPerformance.com builds upgraded hard parts and shift kits in house, sells parts as well as built and tested trannys.

(They are used in a lot of turbo Buicks/ Grand Nationals).

>

>

>