HybridZ

deleting a 70 rearhatch vent tubing

Before I spend $80+ on a pair of rear hatch vent tubing have anyone had success on deleting the rear hatch vent tubing(mine was missing) and making anykind of plate or block off from behind the grill to block water and exhuast fumes.Also If I do make a complete block off plate of some kind will it effect my heating and air conditioning system? Any info will help thanks.

Oh man, yeah, I know what you're talking about, I had a tough time finding the tubes to go in that hatch. It was a serious pain. but hey if they're unavailible around you, (in thailand, I'm not suprized. Amazing you have a Z out there) Then making a blockoff plate is the best idea.

I was almost going to make a block out of plastic and route it out with a router then drill and run tubes off that for drainage. But if you just wanted to make a block off plate and seal it with rubber it shouldn't be a big deal.

You won't affect your AC or heating, You've got the Side vents for airflow, and even then those aren't needed since no S30 Z is airtight. The Exhaust fumes aren't from those vents, they're from the seals in the hatch and around the taillights. So don't worry, Blocking them off is fine. Just make sure your blockoff plate is sealed so water won't drip and rot your hatch/deck/tirewell.

good luck.

PharaohABQ

• 3 weeks later...

pharaohabq just a question if I seal the rear hatch vent and I seal the cabin airtight (or at least try my best) when I turn on my AC or heater where would the pressure coming in go?Any one or maybe I might have to pay for orignal parts.Still looking for the rear hatch vent tubing excluding grill.Thanks

Don't worry, your Z isn't Airtight. There's plenty of air leaks around the hatch, and even if your side vents aren't functional, you'll have plenty of airflow. you can test this by opening and closing your door w/ the AC on, if you had no leaks the air pressure would make latching the door shut difficult, but I'd bet you have no trouble, and could still feel plenty of air moving. Maybe tape over the vents while you do this..

Hmm, Wow, Empty Oil bottles cut back, that might not be a bad idea at all. The shape is very similar to the real vent drains.. A heat gun to aid in shaping I but you could make a decent pair. Didn't think of that, be it could work.

I should make a mould and reproduce these stock ones. I wonder how much demand there'd be for decent reproduction?

• 3 weeks later...