HybridZ

JTR vs Johns Cars Inc

Well, that brings the question of the purpose of the car then, right? I mean JTR position is good of track, etc. Wouldn't the Scarab style mount be better suited for drag strip, if the car's built solely to drag? More weigh on front, easier to keep weight down during weight transfer at launch...but then again, JTR has an advantage of more pressure on rear wheels...

I seriously doubt it will make a heap of difference in a straight line, but if you ever plan on turning, go JTR. The idea of a shorter driveshaft and better weight distribution have always appealed to me.

This topic has come up time and time again here. At least 95% of the guys that run V8's on this forum prefer JTR. A number of them have converted their car from Scarab position to JTR. Look for Long (dankinzle) and his website--he goes into detail about why he did it and the results.

Davy

Petes right! Johns Cars has a less than sterling reputation when it comes to customer service and even answering questions in general. Check prior postings regarding this subject, and you will find that this question has been asked, and answered many times before. JTR has a tried and true reputation. They are more cost effective and stand behind their products and information. I think most members here will agree on that fact.

Compliments,

icon_cool.gif Van

Guest Anonymous

I Emailed John's cars before, the guy was just flat rude. That along with his silly policy's of non-disclosure of his design thing you need to sign, and have to send like money orders only and all this other crazy stuff. His kit may be complete, but its got the engine to far forward, and its way more expensive for what should be a cheap swap if you use the Scarab position (the guy didn't even know what a Scarab was which is forgivable if he wasn't in the business of Z car swaps.).

JTR has always delivered really fast, of course I'm close, but they deal straight up and I've not gotten anything from them I'd consider shody (well the crossmember is a bit wide for a T56 but otherwise its strong enough... icon_smile.gif ).

Do yourself a favor and get JTR's book and either use MSA's kit or JTR's (way cheaper) and let John sell his crap to the Jaguar crowd (as he wont sell his Z kit to anyone that gives it even a bit of research), he doesn't deserve the Hybrid Z business IMHO.

Regards and good luck,

Lone

Guest Sean280z

is there a very big difference between JTR and motorsport's kits? I intend on getting the JTR book to do the swap so should i just plan on buying the parts from them?

Guest Anonymous

I havn't seen MSA's kit, JTR's is just less expensive, but you do have to shop a bit more to get all the pieces. MSA offers all the pieces, but the overall price I think is expensive for what your getting. (Granted its custom, but a radiator for nearly 400.00 is off the hook, a new Griffin or Howe is 200.00 or less.). Nothing against MSA, I have many of they're pieces on the car now (suspension and body) but they do tend to be a bit pricey on the V8 swap pieces IMHO.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

Jim makes a good point, its not plug and play. They aren't kidding at the beginning of the JTR book when they mention mechanical knowledge is required. Although it doesn't require a engineering degree to swap the engine in the car, it does require at least some degree of auto mechanic skills. Most items can be bought, but depending on your application, as in most engine swaps, there can be instances where parts need to be made, because a off the rack piece might not fit.

Also you have to become proficient at ordering parts that will work with your application. Alot of my conversations on ordering simple parts starts with " Well its a 240z but it has a chevy engine in it..." Which is often accompanyed by either 'Click' or 'Ummm, its a what with a what in it?'

Usually you give them a Chevy (Ford or whatever) year and part and car it came from and they will fetch it for you straight away, if you don't know that, then you can expect alot of dumb looks or a whole lot of looking at parts until they find you the right one.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do,

Lone

Has anyone actually CALLED MSA lately to ask about the rpices? when last spoke to a tech out there Imentioned that they were out of their minds with thei rprices and he admitted the yhad lowered some - the Toy brake upgrade for instance. Don't just go by what's in the last catalog - call 'em. He said they had lot's of V8 customers and I told him about this WEB site. I'm not sure that they've ever posted here but I'm sure that at least some of those guys read-in here.

Me, I went JTR all the way. I spent a whopping $180 on an all aluminm radiator that I'd put up against the MSA brasscopper one anyday. JTR gives you the plans to build the parts if you want or you can buy them or yeah MSA is fine too. Lot's of options and you can mixmatch too if you'd like. Just realize this isn't plug n' play - you'll have some fabbing to do know matter what icon_smile.gif