HybridZ

getting pilot bearing out-any tricks?

Guest Anonymous

Pack the pilot hole with bearing grease, then take a 3/8" extension, put the drive end of it into the pilot hole and tap on it with a hammer. This will PUSH the bushing out hydraulically. ;) If for some reason the extension is too big or small, you can us whatever socket fits the tightest, and use the extension to fill the hole. Then you tap on the extension.

Works for me cheers.gif

Lisle tools makes a way cool tool that is basicly a large threaded cone that threads into the bushing(can NOT be used with bearings)and you put your grease gun on to the zerk fitting located on the wide end of the cone and pump it full of grease and out pops the bushing it workd great and only costs abot $15 from MAC tools. Keith

If Autozone has a slide hammer & the Pilot Bearing removal attachment tool-they will loan it to you....if they dont have the correct tools then you can rent the Slide Hammer & Pilot Bearing Attachment tool from a Tool Rental Company.

I've never tried the grease process but have heard of it; I've always had the slide hammer & correct attachment for removal of said bearing.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

The grease "hydraulic" method works great. Just make sure the "piston" (socket, extension, etc) has as tight a fit as possible without it sticking in the pilot bearing hole. Pack the hole and the cavity behind the bearing, solid with grease (wheel bearing), and then compress the grease by tapping on the "piston" with a hammer. This compresses the grease and forces the bearing out. On my SBF I had to fill the cavity and bearing hole a couple of times before the bearing came all the way out. The less air (which is compressible) the less effective this will be so be sure to make sure all cavities are filled completely with grease.