HybridZ

How to make your own "muffler".....?

LamboZ

I'm kinda lost on what I can do to hush up my z some.

I've been looking for a muffler for my 4in exhaust that's very short, because of where my exhaust exits but can't find anything that would fit.

So got me wondering how I could make my own and yet something that will flow great and quiet this damn thing up, but I'm at a loss.

If you want to add a baffled muffler then good luck with the science there. If you want a straight through we built one for our FSAE car that worked pretty well. Take a 4" in your case tube and drill a zillion ~1/8" holes in it, wrap in some type of insulation (imagine thick steel wool might work, we permanently borrowed some fiberglass insulation off the steam pipes in a maintenance room off the shop), weld on outer however big tube that will fit with some end plates. It's just a basic straight through muffler. Or better yet just buy one and cut it to the length that will fit.

Cameron

We are currently testing 4 in mufflers on an 800hp srt-4. PM me if interested. Our 4in system with a muffler weighs substantially less than the factory exhaust with out a muffler (2.5 in). Shootme your demensions and I'll give you a price.

We will also be putting an s30 system together sometime.. if I ever get my car ready for it.

If you want to add a baffled muffler then good luck with the science there. If you want a straight through we built one for our FSAE car that worked pretty well. Take a 4" in your case tube and drill a zillion ~1/8" holes in it, wrap in some type of insulation (imagine thick steel wool might work, we permanently borrowed some fiberglass insulation off the steam pipes in a maintenance room off the shop), weld on outer however big tube that will fit with some end plates. It's just a basic straight through muffler. Or better yet just buy one and cut it to the length that will fit.

Cameron

Instead of drilling all the holes, what about getting some steel mesh and wrap it around a tube to get the diameter. Pack the fiberglass around it and tack it onto tubing for the inlet and outlet, etc. etc. Would the mesh work better to quiet it up since it would be more open?

Instead of drilling all the holes, what about getting some steel mesh and wrap it around a tube to get the diameter. Pack the fiberglass around it and tack it onto tubing for the inlet and outlet, etc. etc. Would the mesh work better to quiet it up since it would be more open?

I would be worried with structural integrity of the mesh unless it's fairly thick. Exhaust heat and vibration can fatigue things relatively quick.

Dynomax has there bullet muffler that they offer in 4in but it's too long. So might buy it and shorten it up some. I had there 3in one on my old setup and while it flowed great, it really didn't quiet the car down that much.

Oh well, it's not a daily driver anyways.

I guess I'll have to get some up. One draw back of using a phone for all your Internet needs.

Exhaust exits there because of where the turbo sits. Trust me I rather have all that noise going out back but you make due with what you have I guess.

Split the 4" into two 2.5" using a reverse merge and you don't loose any flow...

Opens up silencer possibilities in that size due to packaging...

And then you can run them to either side of the car and really screw with people's heads!