HybridZ

Bad Dog Frame Rail Q'

First and foremost I have searched! Are the Bad Dog Frame Rails for a 240z supposed to be welded OVER the old frame rails? I have seen people remove the old ones and weld over the old ones. Their webiste does not specify for the 240z, but does for the 280z. THANKS ALOT!!

From the website:

New 70-73 Datsun 240Z *((--replacement--))* under floor frame rails. *((--Replace--))* those rusty frame rails with these custom fabricated rails. These are two piece assemblies that connect the front frame rail section to the rear frame rail behind the seat. Great for high HP or V8 conversions.

I can ask him for you as I haven't done it myself yet, better yet e-mail him and he will respond.

john@baddogparts.com

If it were me I would remove ALL the rust from the factory pieces and weld the Bad Dog units over them after a good spray down with weld-thru primer to prevent rust. I would also try plug welding the Bad Dogs to the factory ones for more strength, that's just me though. I would do everything possible to make sure it doesn't rust inside-out and then do everything possible to make sure it doesn't run on the outside either, I have rustphobia.

I stripped the vehicle to the bare chasis. Nothing was left. It was $600 for the blasting and $400 for a "baked On" primer. This did not include any fenders, hood etc etc. Just the bare chasis. I ordered a soda/sand blasting setup so I will be blasting the fenders, hood, suspension etc. myself.

SDC10002.jpg

My BD frame rails are plug welded through the floor over the the original rails and then welded to the rear subframe. I then thoroughly seam sealed (two tubes) the entire installation. My floor metal was in good shape. The original rails had some rust and dents, not too bad.

My car had very little rust for a '73. The BD rails were part of an overall plan of reinforcing of the unibody.

IMHO the BD rails are an excellent product for a very reasonable price. If you have ever tried fabing close fitting parts made with 16 gauge steel you will appreciate the quality and the low price of the BD pieces.

After making front frame rail caps to mimic, and tie into, the BD rails I would have gladly paid twice for those pieces.