HybridZ

Add 100 HORSEPOWER and don't touch the engine

BAlford

Guest greimann

Riiiight, OK. Any more details like an explanation of the operating principles?

My guess it is some sort of induction motor that has regenerative braking capability? It charges a bank of capacitors that discharge into the motor on acceleration??

Am I right? What do I win Johnny?

You are right, this client is part of the oil industry and makes dimamond drill bits. He got this idea for oil rig wenches. He also thought it was useable in the auto industry. Will it work, I don't know, but you kiss enough frogs and sometime you will get a princess.

Looks plenty compact. I would think the torque right at the wheel would stress the Z front suspension, but would probably work on the rear of a live axle car. Hard to believe you could get 100 HP out of such a small motor even with one at each corner. Plus adding so much unsprung weight is generally not a good idea. But if it eliminates the rest of the drive train...

Regenerative braking has been around since the first diesel electric locomotive was built. In modern trains, the diesel drives an electric generator that in turn powers electric motors at the wheels. The motors make equally good generators, so to brake you idle the diesel and put an electric load on the drive motors. Trains go one step further and put large electro-magnets on each side of wheels. This induces eddy currents in the spinning metal wheels further braking the train.

Far out idea! Torque of the motor won't affect the suspension adversely any more than brakes do, by the way. The huge increase in unsprung weight would hurt handling and ride. Also, 300 lb worth of batteries isn't even close to what you'd need for any kind of range capability. The energy you get back through regenerative braking isn't anywhere near what you expend getting up to speed in the first place, maybe 20% tops. Aerodynamic and rolling resistance losses aren't recoverable. The motor/generator would have to be able to withstand the heat from braking, and the brakes would tend to run hotter as well due to less cooling and the additional heat of the motor/generator.

Of course I'm thinking only of performance driving. City buses would be a much better application.

Originally posted by Dan Baldwin:

Also, 300 lb worth of batteries isn't even close to what you'd need for any kind of range capability.

I agree, it is a cool idea. And I was thinking only 300lb as a supplement to the existing drivetrain for SHORT bursts, like a 1/4 mile or something. For continous duty, the battery would need to be MUCH bigger I'm sure.

Already been done by Mitsubishi. Page 12 of December 2002's Automotive Engineering International (SAE's magazine). Its on a bus and uses a Lithium Ion Battery/Capacitor hybrid combinationn along with a 8.2L diesel engine and a 100KW generator.