HybridZ

Clutch pressure plate question/Flywheel idiocy

Lazyeye

I'm trying to install a new clutch/flywheel into my 79 280zx, I decided to put in performance parts while I had it apart to install a new throwout bearing and pilot bushing.

So while trying to bolt the pressure plate (Centerforce 2) to the flywheel I can't seem to get the pressure plate flush with the flywheel around the bolt holes.

So question 1: Is the pressure plate supposed to be absolutely flush with the flywheel?

Question 2: I'm an idiot, overtorqued a bolt and broke it off inside my super awesome expensive Fidenza flywheel. Then, used too small of an easy out to try to get it out and broke THAT off inside the bolt. Can a machine shop drill both out for me without destroying my super expensive flywheel?

You need to shorten the pressure plate to flywheel bolts. They are bottoming out in the flywheel. Do a search, it is a common problem with Fidanza flywheels. Take it to a machine shop. They can drill it out or weld on a bolt head and back it out.

I'll check that out. It makes sense. Thank you.

Also, as Flatblack says, make sure you got the right throw out bearing collar otherwise you will be taking it apart again. You need the collar that matches the pressure plate. If you have a 240mm pressure plate you need a collar off a 280zx turbo or 2+2. Nissan still sells them.

From my experience all you need is the correct collar/clutch fork pair. I've been running a non turbo (or 2+2) collar and clutch fork (280Z) for years with a 240mm flywheel. What you can't do is mix 240Z and 280Z collars and clutch forks. Been there, done that. To the best of my knowledge all L28 collars and clutch forks are the same. The L24 and L26 vary.

Also make sure that the disc is on correct. Some discs have rivets that will prevent the disc from sitting flat on the flywheel surface if it is put in backwards.

From my experience all you need is the correct collar/clutch fork pair. I've been running a non turbo (or 2+2) collar and clutch fork (280Z) for years with a 240mm flywheel. What you can't do is mix 240Z and 280Z collars and clutch forks. Been there, done that. To the best of my knowledge all L28 collars and clutch forks are the same. The L24 and L26 vary.

Also make sure that the disc is on correct. Some discs have rivets that will prevent the disc from sitting flat on the flywheel surface if it is put in backwards.

Clutch forks are not a problem, so long as you have the adjustable slave if you use the early fork. I used the early fork on a 280Z pressure plate with no problems at all. I liked the adjustability in the clutch. For those that didn't feel a need for adjustability, a non-adjustable slave pin and a 280Z fork should work fine on a 240Z pressure plate.

The collar height matching the pp height is the key.