HybridZ

Distributer Upgrade

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Gentlemen, I am a new member and have been reading your postings since January. I own a 1973 240Z that was rebuilt by Scarab in Van Nuys in 1977. The car was restored from the ground up again in 1988 and is an exact duplicate of the 1982 turbocharged V8 Scarab that was featured in Road and Track in 1982. I never knew that a web site such as this existed and have been ging it alone since 1977. Well now that my into is over I have been trying to keep the car as orignial as possible for all of these years but from what I have read in your postings you have put me in a mood to upgrade to 2001 technology. I have ordered and received the Sanderson QP1000 headers to replace the old Scarab ones that now very old and have also received a Borla Sportsman oval XR-1 Muffler with 3 inch intake and outlet... all wonderful recommendations from many of you over the past few months, however I want to upgrade the Mallory Dual Point Distributer and that was original Scarab equipment and I need direction from as many of you as are willing to respond.

BLACKMAGIC AND MIKELLY,I am in Culpeper Va. and look forward to meeting you soon.

Sweet! You're not too far away at all! Neat piece of history - do you have any pics posted anywhere? Would love to see what that puppy looks like. Glad you found us, as wihtout a board like this there's no way I'd be trying to do this all by my lonesome. I'll be interested to "hear" (har har) how the Borla works out. I've got a Sebring stainless steel muffler on the way and hope to have exhaust done on Friday.

Side note - will the Sanderson headers work for you in the Scarab position? Anyone? I hope so, they're nice pieces...

Ah, and the Mallory... I don't blame you. The Accel distributor I've got is a nice piece I think. I had some trouble getting spark at first but it seems to be doing okay now. However like your Mallory, if it poops I'm in trouble as I don't think the corner store is goign to have parts for it. It's NOT as bad as the Mallory I don't think but I'm still a little concerned. Since you've not got th efirewall issues to contend with that we do maybe consider one of the newer hopped up HEI deals. Several companies advertise them in the Chevy rags and parts in a pinch should be no problem IMO.

[ July 30, 2001: Message edited by: BLKMGK ]

Guest Anonymous

Since 1977 I have many pictures... none digital that I can forward at this time. A brief description. Imsa flares in the back standard flares up front, vented Scarab hood and vent louvers, Scarab front Air Dam, Imsa Whale Tail, Eurolites, Jim Cook Wheels, 15x7 fronts and 15 x10 rears 225x50x15 Gatorbacks in front and 245x50x15 Gatorbacks in rear(very wide track)Full Scarab race supension will all the goodies and a de-tuned Nascar oval Chevy 350 bored out 60 thousandths Dynamomitor tested 450HP, Recaro seats installed by Scarab and Momo steering wheel, Hurst shifter and Muncie 22 stonecrusher 4 speed. All standard Scarab stuff. We rarely fool around with Hondas in Culpeper (they know the car)but the old boy's with the Vette's, Z28's, Chevelle's, GTO's 442's and other muscle cars of late 60's and early 70's vintage have all gone down quickly.

I drive the car maybe once a month and only 3000 miles in the past eight years but she has quite a reputation in this part of Virginia.

Sounds like a fabulous piece of history! I recommend the MSD billet distributor. They have a "ready-to-run" than includes a built in module, cap and rotor for about $230 from Jegs or Summit. They have the same distributor without the internal module, cap and rotor for about $190 if you want to run an external spark box like the 6AL with built in rev-limiter.

Guest Anonymous

Mike, thanks for the reply, I took a printout of that exact MSD Distributor to my mechanic today from both Jegs and Summit. Glad to hear I am headed in the right direction. Before I retired I used to get to Texas a great deal. Austin is beautiful. I had plants in Dallas, Conroe,San Antonio,Wichita Falls,Waco, Longview, Fort Worth and McAllen. I have seen postings from some of these areas of Texas and wish I had known of this Web site when I was travelling there so that I could have looked some of you folks up. One day I will tell you about the time I blew the engine in this Scarab on my way back from Van Nuys on I 10 just outside of Pecos Texas and had it towed all the way to Odessa. Story involves Odessa Cops, Hellls Angels and ladies of the night and one very gullable old boy from Virginia. As the saying goes Don't Mess with Texas!!!!

Guest dankinzle

hey if you're looking for a good disty I have a MSD probillet HEI distributor minus cap module and gear. I couldn't use it cause it won't clear the hoodlatch in JTR position. If you're interested just make an offer.

Welcome Macdaddy...

Where abouts in Culpeper do you live? I know A LOT of people over there...

You are 35 minutes from my house, so anytime you are coming to Fredericksburg, let me know, and you can stop in!

Mike Kelly icon_cool.gif

MacDaddy, Welcome!

It was articles like that 82 R&T one that made me think I wanted to do a V8Z so long ago. So that piece of V8Z history you have there is very dear to me!

I'm up in Laurel MD, not too far. I get down to see Mike Kelly every so often, and I'll be down there a few times in Sept. for Mike's demise, oh, I mean he's getting married then icon_wink.gif. Anyway, I'd love to meet you sometime and see that Scarab! Plus get a ride!

I'd also like to hear about the adventure in CA where the engine went! Sounds like a great thread for the "I'm tellin' ya" forum!

Cheers,

Guest Anonymous

Mike, I live in Oak Lawn which an older subdivision located behind the Methodist Church on 29 south just before you get to the entrance to the COuntry Club. We have family in Fredricksburg and get there quite often although the Scarab has never been to Fredricksburg....Toooo many stop lights there for that bad boy. We will hook up soon since I am very interested in your T56 as well front and rear break installations. Mine are original Scarab and could use a good dose of upgrade. Thanks for the reply.

Guest Anonymous

Pete, nice to meet you. Yes we will have to get together at Mikes' prior to his big day. I enjoyed the pictures of the new paint job, looked like a ground up deal. Did you put all new glass and rubber on it?

MacDaddy, the whole sorted story about what's happened since those pictures is at:

Topic: Pete... did you get your car back?

I pulled the motor and trans on Sunday. I have to rebuild it and clean tons of urethane overspray off of the engine parts, some of the underside, the engine bay, exhaust, etc. Not a happy camper right now.

It looks more and more like a Fall or Spring virgin drive of this thing icon_sad.gif .

Hope to meet you in person soon!

Guest Anonymous

BlkMGK, the Saturday night cruise in Manassas sounds like a lot of fun, count me in very soon, last time I cruised Mannassas at night I was delivering the Washington Post, some 2000 papers each night back in 1972. I know that you have the same or similar brake and transmission upgrades as Mike and am looking forward to actually seeing it and getting sound advice as to how to get it done correctly and efficiently.

Guest Anonymous

DanKinzle,

I appreciate the reply and offer, however, because of the car I need to keep records and invoices etc. if I ever sell it (had it for tewnty four years and probably won't)so my interset is to buy one new and have whatever domentation may be required by a potential buyer. Thank you for the reply.

well, IF I get mine onthe road this coming weekend it looks like I'll have to make the orunds meeting everyone in the area icon_biggrin.gif I can hardly wait to put some miles on mine and if it all works out you'll get a chance to see the same sort of brake install on my car that Mike is doing. This sucker ought to stop HARD! we'll see - I'm thinking I may yet have booster and master changes i my future but I'm waiting to see. May have brakes bled tonight if parts show up on time. Friday is exhaust install time, cross your fingers.

And yes, it does sound like you have quite the piece of history there! You'll have to get out to the Saturday night cruise here in Manassas. We get MANY cars out there and a good time is had by all - bit of a hike though. Mike has made it at least once so it's doable I'd think. Try to preserve any piecs you take off too as you never know wether or not it might become a valuable collector's car icon_smile.gif