HybridZ

adjusting timing 81 zxt CAS

madkaw

I have searched on this site and a couple of others about adjusting the timing on a stock 81zxt. I do have the FSM downloaded and have read about checking the position of the CAS. The FSM talked about a bolt or screw that you turn to adjust the position of the pick-up-thus changing the timing. Well I have A/C and I can't even see it.

I am asking for any pointers for doing this task(adjusting timing). I checked timing before and it was at 20BTC I believe, which is stock. The car seems sluggish of line(automatic), don't know if a couple of degrees advance would help that or just the nature of the beast. I hear no audible pinging and I always run premium(93). I believe the car is in tune, but have yet to put a wide band on the engine to see what's going on there.

Also, It looks like the front main seal is leaking ,so it looks like I might be getting up to my elbows in this anyway.

Again, any helpful hints would be appreciated.

might not be the engine at all. I had an 81T on which someone disconnected the kickdown solenoid. It was a dog off the line also but once you got up to 45 she took off like a scalded cat. After a week or so of getting used to the car I pulled it into 1st one day at a light and wow away we went. Found the disconnected wires for the solenoid and when connected made all the difference. There is also a vacuum modulator that determines shift points. Never did figure out how to adjust that as I decided to put in a 5 speed instead.

Well I know the gears are all there and working-albeit they work much better for speed if you manually regulate shift points. First gear shifts way to early. The car just doen't have any snap at all off the line-but don't have any other zx's to compare it too. Still, I would like to play with the timing a bit with this car if I can find an easy way to do it.

first gear early shift sounds like what I had. Do you know the know that the kickdown solenoid is working? Also that vacuum modulator has something to do with that. When you slam it to the flloor the kickdown solenoid is actuated by a switch but just easing off the line the vacuum modulator is supposed to regulate the shift point.