HybridZ

R200 diff swap writeup

itsaprothing

I want to do a diff swap on my zx from the stock 3.9 to the 300zx LSD rear diff or maybe a different one like the q45 rear or the J30.

I used the search button but all I could find was writeups on putting the LSD r200 on an s30 not on the s130.

I could've missed it but if there are writeups available i'd love to take a look see before I venture out to the junkyard so I make sure I get all the right stuff.

thanks

If you can get a CLSD then it bolts right into the S130 and you can use the R200 half shafts. The VLSD will bolt into place also but the half shafts will be another story. You are on your own here. For the Q45 you will have to do some serious modification to the rear crossmember to bolt the short nose R200 in there.

• 1 month later...

R200 that have CLSD are from 300zxt(7/87-89) and its direct bolts on. The VLSD are the 300zx turbo SS which only made in 88 which the axles are a little different. J30 and q45 are a different story, that a lot of modification that is needed to be done.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, i was reading and I'm kinda in the same boat. I have an 82 NA automatic so that means i have the R180 diff., Im not sure weather its long or short nose.

Basically i want to swap it out for an R200 with the same 3.54 gears. I want to know if my current CV axles and diff mounts will bolt up to another diff (R200)?

Thanks A lot!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, i was reading and I'm kinda in the same boat. I have an 82 NA automatic so that means i have the R180 diff., Im not sure weather its long or short nose.

Basically i want to swap it out for an R200 with the same 3.54 gears. I want to know if my current CV axles and diff mounts will bolt up to another diff (R200)?

Thanks A lot!!

just to let you know my 81 280zx N/A 5spd has a R200 3.90 gears make sure to go to a Nissan dealer and have any parts manager check the car usually a # on the inside of the door will tell if you have a R200 or R180 just remeber what he told me some came with R200 but not all. the short nose diff's are the R230 like on the Q45 or Z32's.

And yes the CV axles bolt right up, I asked the same question to the parts manager here where I live and he said they do bolt up.

Edited by 280zx@541

ugh so much mis-information...

late '87-'89 300ZX Turbo came with R200 and 3.7:1 gears, with CLSD

--Bolt-in for 280ZX

'88 300ZX Turbo Shiro edition came with R200 and VLSD

--Bolt-in for 280ZX as well, but need different/custom axles

280ZX's that came with R180's:

Non-Turbo Coupes

2+2 with auto trans

Deluxe models with Manual trans

280ZX's that came with R200's:

Turbo's

Non-Turbo GL with auto trans

2+2 with manual trans

(Now, I pulled that stuff straight out of my Haynes manual, so I have no idea of it's accuracy)

R180 280ZX gear ratios:

'79

Auto- 3.545:1

Manual- 3.364:1

'80-'82

Manual- 3.545:1

R200 280ZX gear ratios:

'79

Deluxe model: 3.364:1

GL model: 3.70:1

'80-'82

non-turbo: 3.900:1

Turbo: 3.545:1

mmmmkay?

ugh so much mis-information...

late '87-'89 300ZX Turbo came with R200 and 3.7:1 gears, with CLSD

--Bolt-in for 280ZX

'88 300ZX Turbo Shiro edition came with R200 and VLSD

--Bolt-in for 280ZX as well, but need different/custom axles

280ZX's that came with R180's:

Non-Turbo Coupes

2+2 with auto trans

Deluxe models with Manual trans

280ZX's that came with R200's:

Turbo's

Non-Turbo GL with auto trans

2+2 with manual trans

(Now, I pulled that stuff straight out of my Haynes manual, so I have no idea of it's accuracy)

R180 280ZX gear ratios:

'79

Manual- 3.364:1

'80-'82

Manual- 3.545:1

R200 280ZX gear ratios:

'79

Deluxe model: 3.364:1

GL model: 3.70:1

'80-'82

non-turbo: 3.900:1

Turbo: 3.545:1

mmmmkay?

don't know if your answer was directed to me or the others but if so, I can confirm my differential is a R200 every car has a number in the door that tells all the info, I went to Nissan and happen to know the parts manager himself no reason for him to mislead me for what he told me, all I was doing is passing info that's was given to me by a parts manager I even got the explanation of how everything works, like I said some non turbos came with R200's and some didn't but you also said you weren't sure from the info you got from your book. Who knows but I always like double checking my stuff before I say something that Im not sure about.

Edited by 280zx@541

The only part of that I wasn't sure about was the "Deluxe model" part, since most people don't call them by that name.

Also, I should add:

S13/S14/Z32/Q45/whatever else of that era are all Short-Nose differentials, and therefore do NOT bolt-in.

And have you actually checked for yourself under your car? Your car is probably a GL, so it would/should have an R200 anyways

Edited by PurePontiacKid

The only part of that I wasn't sure about was the "Deluxe model" part, since most people don't call them by that name.

Also, I should add:

S13/S14/Z32/Q45/whatever else of that era are all Short-Nose differentials, and therefore do NOT bolt-in.

And have you actually checked for yourself under your car? Your car is probably a GL, so it would/should have an R200 anyways

yes sir I have and at first I thought it was a R180 but then checked and that's why I took it to nissan just to verify with the parts manager there which is the one doing the swap on my car.