HybridZ

18x10 +12 and 18x12 +12 Wheels on a Z

Hi I'm fairly new to the Z world and I was researching offsets. I noticed 18x12 was no issues with those large overfenders but will 18x10 +12 (front) and 18x12 +12 (Rear) fit under the regular fender flares?

I'm trying to decide if I should keep my work vsxx's or sell them:

They look nice on my vert, I just dont know if they'll fit a Z

vert02.jpg

vert03.jpg

The 10s are a tight fit under ZG flres and lot depends on the sizer of the tire. 275s will fit, 285s are tight and require a slightly narrower track in the rear and a lot of cutting of the valance in the front of the car. 12s require much larger flares.

The 10s are a tight fit under ZG flres and lot depends on the sizer of the tire. 275s will fit, 285s are tight and require a slightly narrower track in the rear and a lot of cutting of the valance in the front of the car. 12s require much larger flares.

will the wheels fit though?

I run stretched tires. 235's in the front and 265's in the rear (tire sizes on the black vert above). I know some of the old school folks THINK stretched tires are unsafe. I've organized drifting events since 2003, and most drifters run stretched tires. Our tires go through some serious lateral force against the sidewalls and I've only seen low pressured tires unbead while drifting, not while going straight.

Nothing on a daily drive will exert that kind of force on a stretch tire on the street.

So I'm hoping the wheels will fit and then stretch the tires a bit to fit under the fender flares. If not, I'll just get rid of them.

**Drifter Stretch Note**

In the event you wonder why we stretch tires? Normal or big sidewalls flex under the wheel while drifting, which will cause it to unbead. Additionally, transitions from one turn to another on a tall/soft side wall is much less responsive and has a "squishy" feel. Stretched sidewalls transition the car much faster with no sidewall flex. I roadrace too, and drifting has different driving characteristics. I've held events where SCCA was in the next lot and drivers come over. they take rides and even drive.

"It's not as easy as it looks", is what most say. Some of our top drifters come from SCCA as well, traditional racing is great experience when it comes to drifting. So far, knock on fiberglass, I've never crashed but I have rubbed a couple of walls and killed cones.

Oh and by stretch I mean a moderate stretch, not this:

_DSC1028.jpg

I would not allow this at our event for obvious reasons. lol

I'm running 275's on 18x9.5 wheels on the rear of my car without any fender flares. I don't know how much extra clearance regular flares give you, but if it's at least 2.5" you should be able to make it work.

Interesting, ok cool. I guess it'll depend on the offset.

A bit off topic, is 1700 a good price on a 71 Running Z, little rust on rear quarter panel? I found two in that range and both look clean.