HybridZ

3.1L oil capacity?

T-Bone028

Hello, I tried searching, but couldnt find what I was looking for.

I recently acquired a 240Z with a 3.1L. It has the F54 block and P90 head, and I believe the stock oil pan. How much oil should I put in it after an oil change? I changed the oil last night and filled it up with 4 liters of oil, and the dipstick reads that it is at the correct level.

I'm unsure if using the dipstick for checking the oil level is an accurate way to measure the oil level on a 3.1L. Can anybody give me a confirmation or suggestion from experience?

Thank you John and Tony, I'm over-paranoid I suppose. I wasnt sure if a 3.1L requires any more oil then a regular L series. Thank you for your clarifications.

Any other suggestions on bringing back a 3.1L to optimal performance after sitting for 1 year? I was able to get the car started on Sunday, and on and off the trailer after draining the gas tank, putting in new gas, flushing the carbs, and spraying some starter fluid into the carbs, and jump starting it. I suppose my checklist of what needs to be done before I feel comfortable driving it would be:

1) Check or replace gas filter

2) Replace spark plugs

3) Change oil and filter (done)

4) Buy new battery (old one will not hold a charge)

5) Adjust carbs (I still dont understand SU's and have the Z-therapy dvd on order)

6) Bleed/Fill and inspect brakes

7) Flush/Fill cooling system

Anything else that I should consider? According to the previous owner, the transmission and differential oil was changed last year. It was idling at about 1100 RPM before I shut it off.

1. Download the factory service manual for your car.

2. Adjust the valves.

3. Check for vacuum leaks.

4. Change trans and diff fluid.

5. Check all the suspension nuts and bolts and make sure they are tight.

6. Check the brakes.

7. Manually adjust the rear drums.

8. Lube the chassis.

Make sure the engine doesn't have the 8qt Nissan Competition Sump on it...

But even then, using the dipstick on level ground still works. Fill till full, run engine and check for leaks, stop engine, check and top off to operating level.

I have read this and experienced it first hand myself, that an oil level that's only half way up the dipstick liberates some power. Less oil windage and drag on the crank it seems.

Use some caution and don't underfill it or you'll get oil surge/starvation if you like throwing your car around corners. Try to balance it out, it's not really that hard to do.

Cheers.

The stock Nissan L6 oil pan will cause a loss of oil pressure in long right hand corners at over .8g. Turn 2 at Willow Springs is a great example of this. Overfilling by 1/2 quart will give a couple more seconds before you see the oil pressure drop on a good aftermarket gauge. The stock gauge is so unresponsive that you normally won't see the pressure drop.

Thanks for the heads up. Filled it up with 5 qts and it reads its about a 1/4 quart over the fill line. Not sure what the deal is, my guess is, I didnt get the "large" size oil filter. I went with a Mobil 1 filter that looks about 2/3rds of the size of the filter that was already on it. I noticed that Courtesy Nissan still carries the larger size oil filters so I'll switch to that. Not really too concerned right now though, still have to check the rear brakes and tune/balance the carbs before I really take it out on the road.

Is the rubber portion of the dipstick in the right place.

Over the years, they can get loose, especially if the owner is really brutal in pushing the dipstick back in for some repressed phallic reason.

In these instances, the rubber seal stopper on the stick moves, and you can have the wrong 'false high' reading on the dipstick. Compare it to another one. I'm 8500 miles from mine or I'd give you a tip-to-sealing shoulder dimension.

Someone with access to their dipstick can measure it. Just hold your dipstick in your hand and whip out the measuring tape. We can compare dipstick measurements later, when I return...

Is the rubber portion of the dipstick in the right place.

Over the years, they can get loose, especially if the owner is really brutal in pushing the dipstick back in for some repressed phallic reason.

In these instances, the rubber seal stopper on the stick moves, and you can have the wrong 'false high' reading on the dipstick. Compare it to another one. I'm 8500 miles from mine or I'd give you a tip-to-sealing shoulder dimension.

Someone with access to their dipstick can measure it. Just hold your dipstick in your hand and whip out the measuring tape. We can compare dipstick measurements later, when I return...

Wow...