HybridZ

exhaust manifold/header options

Hi,

Installing an ls1 in the 280z and am looking for the right exhaust manifold setup. Are there any companies offering ls1 flanges for do it yourself headers? Also, what header options would work? I've checked out the sanderson headers and they are nice. What other options have you guys come across?

THANKS

Hi,

Installing an ls1 in the 280z and am looking for the right exhaust manifold setup. Are there any companies offering ls1 flanges for do it yourself headers? Also, what header options would work? I've checked out the sanderson headers and they are nice. What other options have you guys come across?

THANKS

I am surprised you aren't getting flamed for not searching first. These are very commonly asked and answered questions.

I believe your father contacted me on LS1Tech.com about most of these questions which I answered. He also asked me about my '98-'02 F-Body gas tank.

Like many others with S30 LSx V8 swaps, I have Sanderson swap headers that can only be bought through JTR (http://www.jagsthatrun.com), you cannot buy them directly from Sanderson. Stock '98-'99 F-Body LS1 manifolds will also work if you are looking to save some coin initially, but they are not optimum for performance (which I am sure you already know).

JCI (http://www.brokenkitty.com) also sells swap headers that he has made through a supplier. He also sells the only known S30 LSx engine swap kit along with a few extra goodies.

You can buy a header flange kit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-11495) for around $200 from companies like Summit Racing, but you need to have access to a mandrel bender, have very good fab skills, and still need to buy tubing and merger collectors. After its all said and done, you'd prob to be better off with headers offered from JTR or JCI that have all the engineering and fab work already done.

I hope this helps. If you any any more questions, feel free to PM me personally.

Take care.

Thanks for your reply. I've searched on this forum and can't find a straight answer on the f body manifolds. I've read that they work and others say they will work but need modified. Do you have any more info on this or does anyone have any pictures? I'm heading over to the LS1 sites to see if anyone has any info there. Thanks again

Thanks for your reply. I've searched on this forum and can't find a straight answer on the f body manifolds. I've read that they work and others say they will work but need modified. Do you have any more info on this or does anyone have any pictures? I'm heading over to the LS1 sites to see if anyone has any info there. Thanks again

I don't think any mods are needed to make the '98-'99 F-Body manifolds work. I mocked them up in my S30 too.

I have a pair if you are interested in them, $100 shipped. They haven't been run since they've been blasted, all SMOG lines welded shut and painted/cured with a high temp ceramic paint.

Where are you guys getting the collectors for the header pipe to attach to the manifolds when using the 98-99 f body manifolds? Any shop sell these?

You make your own using gaskets as a template or cut the stock collectors off and weld on a typical 3 bolt flanged type.

The '98-'99 manifolds are steel, not cast iron so they are easier to weld.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, had to modify the 98 camaro manifolds just a little. Cut off the collectors and extend pipe and weld them down lower. Also had to notch the manifold for the steering and weld a contoured patch piece in. Headers someday but for now manifolds will do. THANKS.

Ok, had to modify the 98 camaro manifolds just a little. Cut off the collectors and extend pipe and weld them down lower. Also had to notch the manifold for the steering and weld a contoured patch piece in. Headers someday but for now manifolds will do. THANKS.

Cool deal. Glad I could help!!

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...