HybridZ

Speed related to RPM's

(1983 280zx NA 5 speed)

I recently replaced my entire dash cluster because I bought the car without a working speedo or fuel gauge. So I now believe the speedo is off. I went into town one day with my parents following, I was doing (according to the speedo) about 80-90 the whole way, my parents pulled in behind me about 30 seconds later and said they did about 60. So my question for those of you with GPS units with speed readouts is what RPM are you at in what gear doing 45-50, and then just for fun what speed are you getting at about 4k RPM in 5th gear?

Guest Rolling Parts

GPS?

Get a pencil, paper, and a watch.

Drive at 3 different rpm's and note the time it takes to drive between mile markers.

Obviously 1 minute = 60mph (less is faster, longer is slower).

Convert seconds to MPH and use the 3 data points to plot it.

You're done.

Well doesnt your car have offsize tires than stock?

My z naturally already reads faster than what im going any about one mile per hour for every ten miles an hour of speed

10 means im going 9

20 means im going 18

70 means im going 63

And at 4k in 5th gear my z reads over the 85mph mark, dang 85mph speedos

Well does your car have offsize tires than stock?

More factors depend on the readout of your speedo, including what diff you are using and the tranny, along with the tire size compared to stock.

If its just a matter of tire size, google "tire size calculator" and you'll find one that tell you the percent your speedo is off by.