HybridZ

Undercoatings

With one of the most rust prone cars in the universe, has anyone, with success, undercoated thier beloved ride? If you found a cherry Z and wanted to insure it stayed that way, what would be a good product? Should it be professionally applied?

JS

John, while with the Quaker State Corp., I was a regional Coatings mgr. The rust proofing product we had was called "Metal Gard". By all the salt tests and pratical applcations(paying claims vs the industry)the product was rated the best. I don't know if it is still in production, as I've been gone since 89', and Q.S. was merged with Pennzoil. I approved claims in my region and don't recall paying off to any Z owners. The product was a golden brown and was applied in the normal way, including drilling holes(use a step drill bit) to unaccessable areas. It was "Live", in that if scatched, it would "move" to reseal. My private stock is long gone, along with the paint sealant, but you might be able to find some from a Q.S. distributor in your area.

• 3 weeks later...

....And a Gallon of the stuff goes a long way.... We did the underside of my door sills in the stuff and it was great. I'd recommend using it on frame rails, or any other areas that have been welded in with fresh virgin metal.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk