HybridZ

Thinking about selling, need input.

BillZ260

I used to be fairly active on the boards but work got in the way for a bit starting in 2006. When I was done traveling, I got the Z running, and have put maybe 1000 miles on it. It's alot of fun to drive, and really love the car, but I'm struggling to find energy to finish it. There is alot going on in my life right now and it seems the passion to tinker with the Z just isn't there. I'm back in school, my wife is starting a new career and we are talking about starting a family. We don't need the money, so it's not a motivator, I don't know what I'll even do with what I could get out of it, probably just invest it untill I figure that out.

The car runs increadibly well, it could use a proper tune but she alway starts right up, there are no shimmys and feel's pretty tight all around. There is a lot of work needed to finish the car. Most of it is cosmetic, but there are a quite a few little things everywhere that need to be finished for the car to be just right. I have carpet and fabric to start finishing the car, just no drive.

Basically the thought runs through my head whenever I think about the car, but when I look at it in the garage, I see so much potential. Not sure what to do, not looking for advice, I guess I'm just getting this out. I doubt I can get anything close to what I have in it the way she sits. I feel if I painted and half way put the interior together, I could probably double what I can ask for the car. I don't know what the market for these V8Z's is around here, Tulsa, OK.

Anyway, there it is. Thoughts and input appretiated.

Here she is pretty much as is today, although the hood is on the car and still have SCCA stickers on her from one run two seasons ago!

http://www.facebook.com/#/photo.php?pid=648715&id=647374244

Speaking from experience. When you have kids and especially when they are little, the Z will turn into a getaway to clear your head from all the mundane everyday stuff. Think of it as therapy for a stressful life. My life is dedicated to my family and job. I need the Z to keep my sanity!!

Title was a little misleading:willy_nilhaha just kidding

I say you hold on to her cause seriously you will not get what the car is worth to you whether it is money or not, especially right now. Plus I am sure that drive will be back after you stop driving a car that is actually fun to drive lol. Plus what better investment than to hold on to your z-car for a couple years cause I see the prices heading up here, especially on parts. Even waiting til this economy gets better is going to get you more money than investing in something else.

I am in a similar boat. It is not so much that life is getting in the way, but that there is more to life than just Z's (Yea I said it!) I too have been extremely active in years/(decades past), but your level of interest/activities varies over the years, and that is just a normal thing in life, so don't sweat it. (I have made the decision to sell.)

Here is my advice. Sell it. Letting it sit under a cover and rotting, the next thing you know you are storing stuff on it, kids bikes leaning on it, etc is not going to help the value. Sell the car. Don't worry about losing money on your investment. Look at the $ spent on it from the point of view of cost of driving it and take your total $ and divide against the years of ownership, and it won't seem all that bad.

I have a ton of money into my z and I can't get anywhere near what I have in it. It is still just a Z car afterall. Lots of Z's around. But when I divide what I have spent on it against my 21 years of Z ownership, it makes it much easier to see the real value of the car.

Like I said. There are lots of Z's around, and you can pick one up again anytime.

Just my .02 cents.

Scott.

Being bored and just burned out gets in the way on these long term projects. My bad back also doesn’t help. I have all sorts of upgrades just sitting in the garage; most I have had for years, but don’t feel motivated to start any of them. My Z hasn’t had 200 miles put on it in the last 2 years. Arizona is not the type of country that I like to drive through, desert and straight roads.

It does make a good place to sack stuff on in the garage.

Guest Rolling Parts

As long as you don't store it in a concrete underground "sealed" time capsule, it should be fine up there in Tulsa. I can't count the number of people who I meet that wish that they kept their Z car. If it costs nothing to store it somewhere, why not just keep it?

I appretiate the input guys, lot's of perspectives, they help. I think I will finish the car as much as I can before I sell at the very least. By then who knows my feeling may change.

It's been as much about the process of going through and entire car as it has been about having a V8 Z. I'm pretty sure once I've completed all the parts of the project, i'm not sure how much I'll drive it.

If I had more storage it would be as big a deal, but I am constatnly having to wade around it in the garage when working on other stuff for the house, it's just getting old.

Keep it. Besides the unavoidable financial loss of selling the car, a sale is a sort of admission of failure. It's a divorce writ small.

I have not seriously worked on my Z for about two years. The initial drive was great (or almost great), then some things broke, and it was impossible to find the motivation to learn the skills necessary to make the repairs. And a local shop, with a good reputation, was of no help – in fact, negative help. So the car just sits. I intend to have it sit for years, while I concentrate on my regular job, while sorting out the hobby-interest and their place in life.

But I’ll depart from the other guys in recommending that you don’t attempt to spruce up the car in an effort to improve its sales potential. Just let it sit as is. If you have extra money, purchase a used, newer-model sports car for scratching the spirited-driving itch. And maybe once the kids are in kindergarten, you’ll revisit the Z and resume work – not for a more lucrative sale, but for your own enjoyment.

Speaking from experience. When you have kids and especially when they are little, the Z will turn into a getaway to clear your head from all the mundane everyday stuff. Think of it as therapy for a stressful life. My life is dedicated to my family and job. I need the Z to keep my sanity!!

Ding, ding, ding! I bought my Z right before we had our daughter. I used the Z to help escape the rigors of my daily grind, between home and work responsibilities. I would work on the car at night for a few hours after my daughter went down as a means of stress relief.

Ding, ding, ding! I bought my Z right before we had our daughter. I used the Z to help escape the rigors of my daily grind, between home and work responsibilities. I would work on the car at night for a few hours after my daughter went down as a means of stress relief.

I second (third?) this motion. I went from 1 kid to 5 in short order, and yes, the Z has sat (2 of them!) for a while, but I DO get into the garage and work on the car. The garage is my haven and I go there to escape...hence the fridge stocked with beer, the stereo, the car, the tools, the automobilia, yadda yadda... I think you should keep the car and make timeline for yourself to get it 'finished.' I'm smarting from lack of funds at the moment, so my project is stalled for the time being, but I still do what I can when I can. My $.02

Davy