HybridZ

front fender foam strips????

Guest needwaymorespeed

Guest needwaymorespeed

I just removed my front fenders today.

I hate rust couldnt save the sacrificial lower fender bolts for nuthin!!

Datsun has some rubbery foam crap inbetween the fenders and the frame-whats it for?? looks like to prevent rattles and maybee seal moisture??

More importantly what are you guys using to replace it-am concerned about water soaking into the foam and causing rust-ie the

cowl piece with the 2 foam pads on it-have rust from the two foam pads-

thanks curtis

• 4 years later...

I would think you could get something similar from McMaster Carr.. They have all kind of foam/rubber/plastic kinds of stuff with stick on or glue backings.. My boss orders a fair bit of that kind of stuff, so I know there are differing thickness and 'hardness' availible. Maybe you could get something from Nissan, but I'm sure it'd be expencive..

Guest 73TPIZ

You can use weatherstripping foam tape found at dept and hardware stores. It comes in rolls in different widths and thicknesses and sticky on one side. Here's a link to a pic of some i found on the net.

http://www.midwayauto.us/detailedproductdescription.asp?3425

I think i got mine at wal-mart. Seems like it was 1" wide by 1/2" thick. I stuck it on the underside of the fender before i put it on. I also put some where the headlight bucket bolts to the body.

take care guys.

I too just took off my front fenders and my foam rubber seals where all bad also. I ask a friend of mine who builds custom street rods and he said lots of times he uses double sided tape. He said it works great and sometimes it is better than the foam b/c it can't be seen as well on some of those expencive show cars. My 2 cents.

Guest 73TPIZ

Sorry guys, i misunderstood.

I thought you were talking about the thin strips on top of the upper rail under the fender bolts.

I wonder if you could use the expanding foam of the "low strength variety" that won't warp the panels. You could put wax paper on the frame and fender so the stuff won't stick to it. Attach the fender and spray the stuff up in the void (if its no too big an area). Then go back later, remove the paper, trim up the foam, and use some silicone or double sided tape to attach it back to the frame. That way its semi-removable. I may try that on mine someday. That looks like how datsun did it from the factory for the cowl panels. They just put some foam in those little baggies and bolted the cowl down before it set up.

Just a thought. Good luck with it.

I used some foam from a pool floattie I found at Wal-mart... that worked well... then when my car caught fire... it kinda melted that from the heat... so I dont' use any now.. I just don't lean on the fenders.

However, McCaster would be a great source to get some rubber to suppurt under there. I would use something like construction adhesive to keep it on without the heat melting it.

-Ed