HybridZ

I behold, my very first parking lot donut! FAIL!

josh817

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrKfJHMzp-M

I am embarrassed. :-(

Not making up excuses but the pavement turned into gravel in one spot. I think the epic failure began as soon as I stepped into the car, at least it sounds cool.

OH AND I just wet sanded that rear quarter panel that you see in the video. I started with 1000 grit because there was a sag in the clear and then I did 1500 and 2000 lastly (with soapy water). I want to know if the SHINE will come back when I buff and polish because right now its like a satin/flat color and its making me really worried! :cry:

Lol its not stock. I felt like a butthole because people were around and the gravel was there.

I admit, it was an attempt to have fun and ended in me going "Oh my god *face palm*" when I watched the video. I used my webcam to do it haha.

And! I let off after one spin, I bet I could do more! Grrrr

Well, a good donut just for fun sake should only be attempted in an empty parking lot. Flying debris can get expensive. You can experiment with using the brakes to improve the quality and radius of the turn (brakes are biased to the front giving your rear more resistance to push against). Width and compound of the tires makes a big difference, especially on dry surfaces. As the tires heat up from the friction they will get sticky and start to grab more. Cheap high mileage tires are great for donuts because they're usually made of harder rubber. Harder rubber lasts longer, but is more dangerous in everyday driving. Most of all, just be careful.

Lol I looked at the parking lot and only one wheel was spinning... I DEFINITELY had one of those "WOA I'M DOING IT" moments when in reality, the clutch is burning or something isn't going right. I smelled the burning rubber and that just boosted my testosterone when it was really one wheel. Haha

The alignment in the rear is retarded too but thats not a factor, I'm just saying!

As far as the wet sanding goes, typically if it still looks shiny and proper when you put water over it, then it will come back out with polishing.

What I've noticed is if you can see scuff marks and deeper scratches through the water still, then it's burned through the clear.

I burned through one spot where that very slight body line is down the center of the car because I forget about it. I went crazy trying to sand down the runs in my clear. Its a tiny burn through though so no biggy. I'm not one for perfect cars. The panel feels like glass with water and it looks really good. Its just kind of a hazy/satin blue when try, as you can see.

I burned through one spot where that very slight body line is down the center of the car because I forget about it. I went crazy trying to sand down the runs in my clear. Its a tiny burn through though so no biggy. I'm not one for perfect cars. The panel feels like glass with water and it looks really good. Its just kind of a hazy/satin blue when try, as you can see.

Yeah thats what you're going for. a nice uniform dull color. The polishing will bring the shine out beautifully.

I think you will notice that with a welded diff if you let off the car will slow down dramatically through a turn. If you ever try to push the car, have fun. In my dads shop, when he wants to organize things its a pain in the ass because all the race cars have welded diffs. Some little tiny 1500 pound car takes more umph to push than my Z.