HybridZ

nitrous on stock l24

hey guys this is my first post and I don't know if I'm posting in the right area but what all happens to a persons stock l24 when you run wet shot nitrous threw it? Can it handle a 25, 50, or 75 shot? If not what all needs to be done?

I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on it.

If your asking how much juice a stock l-series can handle and have no idea what needs to be done to accommodate the extra o2, then you should go to google and start researching, what nitrous is, does, how to control it, what needs to be done to your fuel system/ignition system, the chemical properties of nitrous and how it effects your fuel...etc

--- PERSONAL OPINION ONLY ---

Why would you want to risk it on an engine that is 40 years old and likely has over 100k on the clock? Sure it's cheap horsepower, BUT when it goes, it's gone.

--- END OF PERSONAL OPINION --

If you are going to do it, sweetleaf is totally correct. It would be pretty easy to put the nozzles in the carb spacers I would think, HOWEVER they would have to have perfect sync and at WOT.

I vote if you want to do it, do it and let us know how it works out..

thanks guys. I have a wet system sitting in my garage along with a second l24 so I'll throw my nitrous on my Z and see what happens from there. No one else has done this before?

You need to learn what the hell your doing,(been spelled out in my last post) just tossing nitrous, will most likely kill the head gasket, or melt a hole in the piston or both, but if you would have researched, what I told you to, you would know that.. :mrgreen:

thanks guys. I have a wet system sitting in my garage along with a second l24 so I'll throw my nitrous on my Z and see what happens from there. No one else has done this before?

I assume you are running SUs? You will need 2 nozzles then.

Yes, I am also running nitrous on my turbo motor. I would start with a 50shot and work up from there slowly.

I did 334whp and 384wtq with a junk yard L28e that I turbo'd. Whats the problem?

Not sure if this is true or not, but I was told an l24 has forged internals (yes I am kinda a noob) I still believe they are cast but if they are forged then I would imagin' it could handle a small shot of nitrous if doing right as mentioned above.

Not sure if this is true or not, but I was told an l24 has forged internals (yes I am kinda a noob) I still believe they are cast but if they are forged then I would imagin' it could handle a small shot of nitrous if doing right as mentioned above.

The pistons are cast, the rods are forged.

And crank is forged. Factory fods good to 600+whp. Pistons tend to melt....

factory rods with beefier rod bolts, beefier main bolts and to have the motor gone through and spec'd. I'm sure a stock short block can handle 600WHP, but for how long is the question.

i did and i know....

The falure cant be atributed to the rods though. As far as I am concerned L28 rods are good for 600.

So your saying rod bolts main bolts, pretty much just upgrade your hardware to ARP stuff or something and pistons and rings and you should be set long block wise. Then you do what I hope to do and put a section franKAnstien head in CAD and make a casting bolt and make the head and build it. Then you can figure out the cam issue and timing chain issue and you should have an engine ready to handle some big power?

So your saying rod bolts main bolts, pretty much just upgrade your hardware to ARP stuff or something and pistons and rings and you should be set long block wise. Then you do what I hope to do and put a section franKAnstien head in CAD and make a casting bolt and make the head and build it. Then you can figure out the cam issue and timing chain issue and you should have an engine ready to handle some big power?

When I am ready for a "built" motor it will consist of JE pistons, total seal rings, arp rod/main/head. That will pretty much do it. The likely hood of doing over 375hp on anything but a perfect tune will pretty much kill factory pistons in the ring land area. Rods, they should take it.

BTW, your sentence structure id very hard to read. I had to read it 4 times.