HybridZ

Carbon Fiber

Guest KraZ4spd

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i want to do that panel in real carbon and fiberglass. if i go to the junkyard will i be able to pull one easily? or does anyone have one i can borrow?you get a free part if i do borrow yours to make the mold.looks like a $125-150 part. AND i still need a picture for my website if anyone is interested. thanks

Joel-FC

fcz,

I'm not sure on the '75-'78 Z, but on my '73 it's actually 3 panels. I had to take mine apart to paint it. I had the same idea as you, to make it one piece in fiberglass. For the most part, it's light already, so it didn't make sense to make it out of fiberglass, but you probably could sell them if you made them out of carbon fiber. You'll have to weld the 3 pieces together and smooth them out, then test fit to the car, then make a mold, then pop a piece out made from fiberglass (cheaper) test fit, then if it fits, make it out of carbon fiber.

Yeah, that's why I decided to just paint mine, BUT if the price was right, I would buy a '70-'74 panel in carbon fiber.

!M!

ok. i have a guy with aq 280 and a 240. he is gonna check and make sure the are perfect for molding. ill keep the forum updated.

and any parts you guys would like to see reproduced, i just need a donor part to borrow, 3-6 weeks. and you get that part for free minus shipping.

of course it has to be a sellable part.

if i get enough requests then i can do a group purchase.

Did you get my PM? but anyways.....

how about a valve cover? i have a 280ZX turbo one that you can barrow. i think that would be sweet. a real full carbon fiber valve cover....

mike

sure. i would loev to do a valve cover-cover. but to make a mold i would have to smooth the original and modify it so its smooth. i think i saw one at a yard i went to.

lemme know if you want me to do it.

thanks

I thought of a few more things that would be really sweet in carbon fiber... Hood, Rear deck lid, headlight buckets, dash, a custom intake manifold(maybe that one is a little too far feched...ive only seen one of these ever on a Z), and some misc. interior peices. Maybe a driveshaft too :D . How much do you think youll sell the valve cover for?

i was going to order from that place that sells the dash caps, full and partial to do a mold from. if you would let me borrow yours i will gladly do the mold for it. and i know ill sell 10-15 soon enough so its definetely worth my effort. price i guess would be 150-300$.

I could really go for a rear hatch and a cf hood. I would send you mine, but the hatch has had body work done on it and a bit of rust, so i cant imagine that it would make for a good example. My hood is decent, but if you have a guy with a 240 and 280 near you, maybe they would be better to get a mold from, to save on shipping. Man oh man, a cf hatch and hood would look so nice. Please, everybody else, show interest so this guy will make them. :)