HybridZ

Playing with powder coating today

audandash

Hey guys i was in my garage playing with my powder gun and wanted to share. The carb dome is mine but i did the fuel bracket (74 260z) and a bullet style mirror for a friend. Playing with the satin black and fluorescent green from columbia coatings. Great stuff!!!

IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i just pickedup myself the kool koat 3.0 gun from columbiacoatings.com........such a badass gun. i have been messing around with the hyper mirror black and candy colors.

heres a rotary i did using the black and chrome and candy blue

i redid the front cover, i did it with my craftsman gun, i hated that thing

P1010012.jpg

ported the engine as well. its from a 93 usdm rx7. 13brew is its classification

Lloyd

Right now i have a the basic eastwood hot shot gun. its my first one and not to bad. I really want to upgrade to a kool koat gun from columbia coatings. They are not far from my house and where all my powders come from now. I got the kit which was like 140. comes with plugs, wire etc... def make sure you get those things as it makes your life easier. I have not made it to the flakes and such yet. Looks awesome. I have only been doing this for a few weeks trying to get the learning curve down. as for the oven i use a standard oven i have in my garage i found on ebay. its nice though bc its a stacked oven so i have extra space.

you know, i havent had too much of a problem with outgassing. i dont cook the parts too long, i found out that if you preheat the parts enough before hand and get them up to just above being able to handle them by hand, the outgassing isnt nearly as bad as before.

i will take pictures of the vw engine i am currently doing. i didnt preheat this:

P1010176-1.jpg as you can tell, there is outgassing. it was covered up by the candy blue, then the whole front cover was replaced and redone, wasnt up to my standards.

like i said, i will take pictures of the vw engine i am doing. i preheated them and there was no outgassing, everything came out glassy smooth.

Lloyd

p.s. i have heard that using iron phosphate to prep parts helps make the piece come out nicer and smoother. either the phosphate helps smooth the surface and cut down on the amount of micro air pockets, or just makes the area clean and ready for powder, idk. i dont use iron phosphate, i use my old bosses sand blasting cabinent. its a mix of medium grit sand and #6 glass bead.

heres what the housings looked like step by step:

right after tear down:

P1010159-1.jpg

after sandblasting

P1010167-1.jpg

chrome powder applied before baking

P1010168-1.jpg

after first coat with chrome and ready for the candy blue

P1010179-1.jpg

candy blue before baking

P1010182-1.jpg

candy blue out of the oven

P1010185.jpg

and heres the back of the rear iron in the black, it looked wet, but wasnt, i love that powder. i am doing the whole VW engine that color. skeet skeet

P1010007.jpg

so, like i said, the outgassing was there, but not barely noticeable. i used the sand blasting cabinent before, followed with 2 days soaking in chemdip to get rid of all the shavings and oil and crap. then used simple green to reprep the pieces, a bit of a wire wheel, then the rest was all powdering.

all in all, about 40 hours of work between the porting and coating

Lloyd

thanks rb. i picked up some outgas primer from columbia coatings today. i am going to test it out tomorrow. I am going to redo the green mirror. There where not many outgassing bubbles, probably cant see them in the pic, but enough to bother me. I am going to try it again tomorrow and see how it turns out. I may post some pics of it tomorrow as well. i will let you know how it turns out. Its pretty inexpensive and i have heard many good things about it. howdy phil. i assume i will see you tomorrow lol? as long as the roads arent bad