HybridZ

New engine

marc z

Need a general sticky on what may be involved when swapping in a different motor and transmission. The same sorts of questions keep coming up, a good sticky should be a great help for those looking at any swap.

For example, once you get into engines with ECU's if you don't use the engine's original loom and ECU then an aftermarket ECU is an alternative, can get expensive just for the hardware. Lot more so if you can't DIY.

That's definitely more well travelled ground, and people on this forum can definitely help you out. Lots and lots of literature on that kind of thing.

Don't get me wrong, VQ35 swaps have been done by members here, but it's far, far, far less common. I hope I speak for everyone when I say that I think it would be really cool (since we all love engine swaps, the crazier the better), but if this is your first swap, it might be easier to go with the devil you (or HybridZ, at least) knows.

Everyone will cheer you on, in any case. You're braver than me, too. I looked at the V8 swap and backed down; stuck with rebuilding the L28ET and upgrading the turbo. Someday, when I have more money than brains, I'm thinking VH45DETT in a Z32 chassis.

But hey, if a V8 is in your future right this very moment, you go for it. :)

Hoo boy, always remember, it's going to take 100x longer than you thought it was gonna take. My friend bought a crashed 2002 WRX that he intended to take the drivetrain from and put in an old FWD 1.8L Impreza L. When we first started the project, he looked at me and said "Corey, we're gonna be done in like 2 weeks". And now, here we are, a year and a half later...

Mind you, that's with an engine, transmission, drivetrain, etc. that all bolts right up to the frame of every Subaru made in the last 30 years. And yeah, he was lazy, and really it was converting the interior to the WRX's (oh yes, we actually did that. Urrrgh) that made everything take so long, but what I'm trying to say is that it just... takes longer than it seems like it will.

I've owned my project 280ZX Turbo for about a year now, and it went down for a total overhaul about 10 months ago. I only now have just gotten my rebuilt engine back in, and still have to finish my auto to manual conversion, make the intake pipe for the turbo, and finish the front suspension. And then hook everything up and hope it still works. And then add the 300ZXT ECU and MAF. And I, unlike my buddy, actually spend all my free time at work on this thing. :D

I do all my own work, though, and I'm mostly doing this on weekends (fulltime student :'( ), so if you've got a shop you can take this to, and you're okay with the time and the money... No reason why not to.

Bottom line: Try to be realistic, and then try being pessimistic about that timeframe and budget. You'll get close. :D