HybridZ

Brilliant idea..... ??

As you most of you may know, I posted a thread "New project. '77 280Z" not too long ago regarding my 77 280Z that I am currently looking for a new motor for. Today I had an idea of throwing a 4G63 (evo motor) into it.... Keep in mind, this is all just an idea for now. I found this:

https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=975&osCsid=ff11b5f1fcab9eb43a3393b875140c28

It's an adapter plate to mount a GM tranny, to the 4G63. I do have a buddy that could fab up custom motor mounts and whatever else. We'll need to use a lot of brain power... Thoughts? Concerns?

There was something on this a while ago. Great idea, from what I hear the engine is bullet proof. Definitely search it, I would post a link but I don't remember the thread. I guess search Mitsubishi engine or something?

I will have to search it... I thought I was the only one who thought of this... how selfish of me. A couple of my friends have evo's. Pushing about 500hp on a stock block.

I will have to search it... I thought I was the only one who thought of this... how selfish of me. A couple of my friends have evo's. Pushing about 500hp on a stock block.

I think a better Idea is a 2jz, you can push 700, seen it in person! Stock bottom end.

I think a better Idea is a 2jz, you can push 700, seen it in person! Stock bottom end.

I love the 2JZ.... But I want to do something a little different.... plus, I don't need 700... or even 500 to the wheels in that little car. Although, that kind of power would be quite fun.

the 4g63 is a great engine, mitsu has used em in just about everything over the years so it wouldn't be hard to find one, and parts are abundant, just beware of the infamous crank walk that plauges the older versions, the new renditions may have the problem solved, but honestly I'm not sure if they've really been around quite long enough to know for sure yet.

the 4g63 is a great engine, mitsu has used em in just about everything over the years so it wouldn't be hard to find one, and parts are abundant, just beware of the infamous crank walk that plauges the older versions, the new renditions may have the problem solved, but honestly I'm not sure if they've really been around quite long enough to know for sure yet.

My buddy that helped me come up with this concoction (spelling) was telling me about that. Didn't get too much into detail, he just said use the newer models.

I love the 2JZ.... But I want to do something a little different.... plus, I don't need 700... or even 500 to the wheels in that little car. Although, that kind of power would be quite fun.

Fair and true, just remember, torque breaks things, including the tires loose. So honestly if you want something that's cool/neck snapping you already have it, just build your v8 high compression. =P If you want different. Do a built 3.4 stroked 2jz-gte. Get it to put down around 1200 to the wheels. Make it hook (possible?). I think it would be different. Especially if you could manage it street legal, only problem is you are in ABQ so you have emissions correct?

Fair and true, just remember, torque breaks things, including the tires loose. So honestly if you want something that's cool/neck snapping you already have it, just build your v8 high compression. =P If you want different. Do a built 3.4 stroked 2jz-gte. Get it to put down around 1200 to the wheels. Make it hook (possible?). I think it would be different. Especially if you could manage it street legal, only problem is you are in ABQ so you have emissions correct?

1200? Proposterous... but I like it!

I would love to build the V8, but I've grown to love turbo's so much lately.

I suppose I could just turbo the V8.... and I don't know if I could hook with that much power to the wheels in that tiny of a car.

1200? Proposterous... but I like it!

I would love to build the V8, but I've grown to love turbo's so much lately.

I suppose I could just turbo the V8.... and I don't know if I could hook with that much power to the wheels in that tiny of a car.

Sure you can, you will probably have to tub it and get slick, maybe some street legal radials. Yea, the built 2jz idea is a bit over the top, that's like big dollars in the engine, after that you would need a built transmission to hold it. Probably build your rear end. Then you would need brakes. You suspension probably wouldn't handle that either, so you would need suspension. I think the Mitsu idea is honestly good. Nobody has executed it in a Z yet, that I know of at least. I also think the SRT4 with a jeep 5 speed is a great idea that hasn't been executed (again, that I know of) yet. If you want unique then your idea is probably a good option. If you want turbo for cheap(ish) and reliable, mega squirt l28et with a ball bearing turbo and a few small upgrades to make the Reliable part. Honestly the 2 words I previously stated don't go together, but if that's what your trying to get close to then I would say L28et with MS. I would rather see the mitsu but I have fallen away from 4 bangers because of the noises they make recently. If you do a mitsu swap document it very well please!

Sure you can, you will probably have to tub it and get slick, maybe some street legal radials. Yea, the built 2jz idea is a bit over the top, that's like big dollars in the engine, after that you would need a built transmission to hold it. Probably build your rear end. Then you would need brakes. You suspension probably wouldn't handle that either, so you would need suspension. I think the Mitsu idea is honestly good. Nobody has executed it in a Z yet, that I know of at least. I also think the SRT4 with a jeep 5 speed is a great idea that hasn't been executed (again, that I know of) yet. If you want unique then your idea is probably a good option. If you want turbo for cheap(ish) and reliable, mega squirt l28et with a ball bearing turbo and a few small upgrades to make the Reliable part. Honestly the 2 words I previously stated don't go together, but if that's what your trying to get close to then I would say L28et with MS. I would rather see the mitsu but I have fallen away from 4 bangers because of the noises they make recently. If you do a mitsu swap document it very well please!

I think I'll research a TON and see what comes up, what i can come up with... see if anybody has ever done it yet or anything like that. Like I said at the beginning, it's just an idea for now. But I am really going to look into it. And honestly, I love the sound of the 4g's.

Although a decent motor, 4g63's are far from bullet proof, I know this first hand becuase my best friend had a DSM for years. They are notorious for crank walk, eating oil and a handful of other headaches. I dont think it would apply to our friend here, but I know they have huge tranny issues as well. Its a good motor if you dont plan on putting a big big turbo on it, unless you plan on spending a ton of more money. I'd do all your research first and make sure its worth it.

There was something on this a while ago. Great idea, from what I hear the engine is bullet proof. Definitely search it, I would post a link but I don't remember the thread. I guess search Mitsubishi engine or something?

The Mitsubishi Evo has a motor similar to the 4g63, but not the same, there more of a mirror of one another. Evo motors can hold a sizeable amount of more power compared to the 4g63, although 500 hp on a stock block is quite remarkable and they must have some damn good tuning (or they never get on it haha) I think the 4g63 motor will be good for 300-350whp stock bottom end, after that your going to start pushing it. All he has to worry about is transmission fitment etc, because all DSM cars were AWD or FWD.

Slopoke, just curious why the 4G63? Getting a really good deal or something? Not trying to dissuade, just curious.

I know it has decent power potential on stock internals and would definitely be unique, but I think personally (and this is just my opinion) you should turn your latest project car into a "retro-rocket". I mean you already have a hybridz...why not get nostalgic and build a wicked L6 powered racer? Do you see a lot of Z's built that way? Sure. Are they any less cool than a traditional HybridZ? I dont think so. A well built L6 (N/A or Turbo) with dialed in suspension, clean body work, and well thought out mods are just as cool as a V8, RB, VQ35, SR20, 2JZ, 4G63, lawnmower, Fred Flintstone powered Z in my eyes.

I only say this because I like to think of my car (and most other S30's) as a time-capsule for the days when Datsun introduced the US to Japanese sports cars and changed the American consumers mind on Japanese engineering. I also ONLY play 70's era rock in her too but thats just my preference.

Edited by T-Bone028
typo

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121875&highlight=4G63+swap

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=84728&highlight=4G63+swap

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108931&highlight=4G63+swap

That must be the easiest search I have ever done "4G63 swap" that's it.

But the way I would go about this is look for 2G 4G63 swapped starions and see what transmission, intake/exhaust, and mounts they are using and transfer what you can over to an S30. There is a thread on here that went HIGHLY into detail on this subject but I really don't feel like looking for it because the search button works the same for me as it does for you.

The Mitsubishi Evo has a motor similar to the 4g63, but not the same, there more of a mirror of one another. Evo motors can hold a sizeable amount of more power compared to the 4g63, although 500 hp on a stock block is quite remarkable and they must have some damn good tuning (or they never get on it haha) I think the 4g63 motor will be good for 300-350whp stock bottom end, after that your going to start pushing it. All he has to worry about is transmission fitment etc, because all DSM cars were AWD or FWD.
Although a decent motor, 4g63's are far from bullet proof, I know this first hand becuase my best friend had a DSM for years. They are notorious for crank walk, eating oil and a handful of other headaches. I dont think it would apply to our friend here, but I know they have huge tranny issues as well. Its a good motor if you dont plan on putting a big big turbo on it, unless you plan on spending a ton of more money. I'd do all your research first and make sure its worth it.

Negligence, I have heard of the crank walk on the older model 4G63's.

I know that eventually I'd want to put more power down and keep wanting to put more power down. I think this is making me lean more towards NOT doing it. I'd hate to dump a TOOON of money into something. I think I'll research and see what I can get for the bang for my buck

Slopoke, just curious why the 4G63? Getting a really good deal or something? Not trying to dissuade, just curious.

I know it has decent power potential on stock internals and would definitely be unique, but I think personally (and this is just my opinion) you should turn your latest project car into a "retro-rocket". I mean you already have a hybridz...why not get nostalgic and build a wicked L6 powered racer? Do you see a lot of Z's built that way? Sure. Are they any less cool than a traditional HybridZ? I dont think so. A well built L6 (N/A or Turbo) with dialed in suspension, clean body work, and well thought out mods are just as cool as a V8, RB, VQ35, SR20, 2JZ, 4G63, lawnmower, Fred Flintstone powered Z in my eyes.

I only say this because I like to think of my car (and most other S30's) as a time-capsule for the days when Datsun introduced the US to Japanese sports cars and changed the American consumers mind on Japanese engineering. I also ONLY play 70's era rock in her too but thats just my preference.

T-Bone028, I have a buddy with one sitting in his garage. I've heard nothing but good about them. I actually posted on another forum that's local here in ABQ, and they ALL are trying to talk me out of it, so maybe I was going by what I was told. I like what you said about building an L6, I actually need the motor in my car rebuilt, it's about to go. Maybe that's what I'll stick to. I just thought it would be cool to do something a little different. Hell, maybe I'll turbo the SBC... I have a craving for boost.

This is awesome man, thanks!!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=121875&highlight=4G63+swap

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=84728&highlight=4G63+swap

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=108931&highlight=4G63+swap

That must be the easiest search I have ever done "4G63 swap" that's it.

But the way I would go about this is look for 2G 4G63 swapped starions and see what transmission, intake/exhaust, and mounts they are using and transfer what you can over to an S30. There is a thread on here that went HIGHLY into detail on this subject but I really don't feel like looking for it because the search button works the same for me as it does for you.

Crank walk is an exaggeration and these headaches that are common are because 17 and 18 year olds buy these cars not knowing how to maintain them or properly modify them.

TS, go with something tried and true unless you have an abundance of time and/or money.