HybridZ

Aerodynamics? 240,260,280 vs 300

scarp

I know the 240-300 aerodynamics are not good but how is the 2nd gen 300 aerodynamics?

I have a few funds for my next project and I am leaning to the 300zx.

I know it will be a nightmare but I am willing to try it.

heck I've put V8's in a 240,260,vega,pinto And a ford courier p/u (that was the hardest swap)

Any Ideas guys????

Stan

quote:

Originally posted by Oltmann:

The coefficient of drag is 0.31 or 0.32, that is pretty average for modern cars. Great compared to a first-gen. It's also got alot more crash protection
smile.gif

Good luck.

0.31 or 0.32 eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

Thats pretty good.

Hmmmmm (me thinking)

Time to lube the gears as they are really moving (and whizing now) wink.gif

Thanks Oltmann.

Stan

Hey Stan, are you planning on being powered by technology, or cubic inches? (or both?)

A lot of the 2nd gen.300zx stuff is really similar in design to the 240z/280zx... I worked on one a while ago, and you could tell the cars were related.

Sounds like fun, let us know what you intentions are.

------------------

"Nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool."

Richard Lewis - 1972 240z, Powered by a Nissan 2.8L Turbo Inline 6.

Drax240's Turbo Site

Beginners Turbo FAQ & Answers

Pete P. Chris C. and I were in a junkyard last fall and we all commented that an LT1/4 in one of those would be sweet... And quite honestly If I could get Donna to fall for a 90-96 model Z, I'd buy one tomorrow and wait for a deal Like Myron got for his LT motor and just do it.. As long as I keep it the same year motor or newer than the car....

Now I just need to get Donna into one of those 2nd gen 300zxs!

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

I dunno guys - if I got hold of one of the later TT 300Zs I'd just mod the heck out of it and be happy smile.gif I raced one today on the road a bit in the RX7, he couldn't pull away and I couldn't catch him. Not sure what was done but it was pretty sweet. Mike with the emissions laws here I'm not sure I'd try it either even with a late model motor. They'd want the cats and everything on it - ouch!

Hmm, I wouldn't go GN. If you wanted a turbo 6, then the 300zxt (not twin) is lighterweight, and also would bolt to your existing tranny I believe. A lot of potential in those engines too, though you are giving up a bit of displacement to the GN.

I'm sure its going to be a screamer though, seeing what stans built in the past. smile.gif

------------------

Drax240's Turbo Site

Yeah, if NA then mod the heck out of it with a V8 or whatnot (lol). As for the GN drivetrain - heck yeah I'd do that. The GN community is HUGE with parts everywhere, I think that give the edge to the GN swap Drax. Is there that much out there for the older 300ZX motor? Truly, I'm ignorant on this (shrug). I've just seen so many darned fast GNs and so few single turbo Zs that were fast around here. TTs yes, we've got more than a few of those smile.gif I actually debated buying one but fell into the RX7..

Stan, what have you got planned?

Mmm, yes, aftermarket support is worth considering too. I was thinking weight/power output/simplicity. The z31 engine should be a little simpler, no engine mount change, no tranny change I would think. Plus its about the lightest V6 in existence.

But it depends what you want out of it. I am sure once you pass about 400hp in the z31, it would start costing more than it would to get the same HP out of a GN. Above 500HP, I have little doubt the GN is cheaper. Plus you could also play with 600, 700, and 800. biggrin.gif

------------------

Drax240's Turbo Site

[This message has been edited by Drax240z (edited April 15, 2001).]