HybridZ

Center bolt valve covers - what heads?

I'm about through with paint (this weekend, if all goes well - any bets???) and I'm starting to think about how to finish out my mystery engine. You may remember that it's a newly rebuilt, late model 350, with center bolt (valve covers) iron heads and a non-roller cam. I know very little about it, other than:

block casting #14093638

head casting #14102191

I don't know compression ratio, cam grind, or anything else that would help. Sorry! This was kind of a "pig in a poke" deal. I just hope this pig's healthy icon_smile.gif

This is to be an intermediate engine, and doesn't have to generate huge HP. Can someone tell me the performance potential of these heads, and whether I'll need anything special to make them run correctly? I'm pretty sure they were specific to fuel injected engines - will my Q-jet work on them?

The reason I ask is that just about 95% of the Jeg's catalog is dedicated to standard, perimeter bolt valve cover heads, not center-bolt. I'm afraid I'll buy a bunch of stuff, only to find that none of it works with these heads. Were they so abysmal that nobody even thinks about hot rodding them, or is the only difference in the way the valve covers attach?

I have to admit, I'm embarassed to not be able to figure this stuff out myself. But nothing I read seems to give me any direction! They all were written as if I know the differences already. Since this is my first American engine, I'll probably be asking a LOT of questions on how to dress it out. I trust y'all a lot more than I do the Hot Rod mags, who are (seemingly) only interested in pleasing their advertisers.

The centerbolt valve cover heads also have a different intake bolt pattern and were on engines with one piece rear mains. "New" stuff. That's why most parts in aftermarket catalogs are perimeter style. Some aftermarket heads offer both styles of valve cover bolts. According to Mortec, the heads are just '87 and up 350. Nothing about valve soize or combustion chamber. As for the block, 87-95 flat tappet or hydraulic roller, 2 or 4 bolt main. You'll have to take it apart to know for sure. My '94 Malibu has a similar motor with a GM high rise cast iron Q-jet intake. They also have an aluminum intake. Look in Jegs as they are a GM performance parts dealer. Nothing special, but nothing wrong with your stuff either.

Nothing wrong with centerbolt heads! It's mostly a matter of preference all things being equal. There are beautiful cast aluminum valve covers made for them (you can even check on ebay), and also great looking wire looms too! I think "Made for You Products" has nice ones that will work and mount the wires across the top of the valve covers--very trick looking. Try Summit & Jegs. You'll do fine--just find some good ones you like.

Davy

Guys, y'all are encouraging! Thanks for the lift. Mike C, can you clarify a point for me? If I'm reading you correctly (and that may be questionable, seeing how I just put in a 14 hour day at work!) you're telling me that I'll need a specific intake manifold? Is this the one where the bolts going into the heads are angled, not straight?

Okay, who's got one of those nifty little simulator programs? If Mike K's truck will do an 9 second 1/8, how fast will my little Z do a quarter mile??? Mike, what are the HP/torque ratings on your factory motor, anyway?

I looked up some of Made For You's stuff on the web. For mostly plastic pieces, they look pretty nice. And the price is certainly right. Maybe there's hope for this engine after all! icon_smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

As far as I know, if the heads are L98 cyl heads a standard intake will work, but if 'fastburn' style or 'vortec' you need a specific intake with angled holes for the bolts. Some ppl drill and tap to install standard intales, but I hear they sometimes have a prob sealing. Also the heads might have D shaped exaust ports. Standard headers might work, but there are some shaped to match the D exaust, and might flow a little better. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong about anything here so I don't mislead him. GL ps get the Summit Racing Equipment and Jeg's High Performance catalogs. Good sources of parts and information

[ August 03, 2001: Message edited by: PARAGOD ]

Guest Night_rider_383

14093638...350...87-95...2 or 4...Roller or flat tappet cam one-piece rear seal

14102191...87-up...305/350.

If you can give me alittle more info i can help you find more specs on the engine and heads. If you can get the engine suffix code (stamp number) (u can find it on the pass. side front of the block, in front of the head on that side on the flat part thats under the alt.) With that code i can tell you just about everything about the engine. Also to help find the info on the heads i need to know if the heads is the ones that came stock on that engine. But naw man aint nothing wrong with the centerbolt heads just a diff. style chevy went too. There real good heads same mods works on em as the old ones like port and polish

Thanks for the link to the Mortec site (member #45, with only 20 posts? You're a quiet one, ain't ya! icon_smile.gif ) I've been there before. In fact, I took a hard copy of their casting number pages with me to the junkyard as an identification guide.

The problem is, their site only gives generic info on my particular casting. Like Night Rider said above,

14093638...350...87-95...2 or 4...Roller or flat tappet cam one-piece rear seal

14102191...87-up...305/350

I'd like to know compression ratio, head volume, valve size, flow numbers, etc. that don't show up. Or at least have some idea of how many horsepower I'm dealing with. For all I know, I've got a limp-wristed milquetoast of an engine!

Night Rider, I'll get you the suffix codes as soon as I can - right now the engine is without valve covers or an oil pan, and I've got it wrapped in plastic to keep dust out of it. I might be curing that condition this weekend, though! Edelbrock center bolt valve covers seem like the hot ticket for me.

Guest Night_rider_383

Ok scott that sounds good. See i have a Gm dealers book over here over 2,000 pages on engine specs for each engine, but the cast just dont tell one year with the stamp i can get the year from that then cross it in this other book and give you all the specs on that one engine the way it came from gm. Them edelbrock covers are bitchin' man i love them things.

Guest kc6wfs

RPMS,

The vortec type heads have taller runners and also only have 4 bolt per side for the intake.

How many holes per side does yours have?

Some info on the heads are

1986-88 14102191 350 1.94 1.5001 EFI, swirl port OHV, RWD, TBI, roller lifters, center bolt valve covers,high swirl intake ports, right hand dipstick

http://www.partscavengers.com/techlibrary/castingnumbers/allchevyv8castings.asp

Hope this helps.

Dave

• 8 years later...