HybridZ

Scrapping a L24, what should I keep and sell?

iBang

Since I haven't had any luck selling my whole non-running L24 with 4-speed and I no longer have room for it so I'm going to scrap most of it. I've already pulled the carbs since I know they are worth a bit. Is there anything else I ought to pull before I roll it off my trailer at the scrap yard? At the moment its all there, accessories and everything.

Edited by iBang

The E88 head with all it's valvetrain would be worth pulling and trying to sell as well as the connecting rod's as they are the commonly used rod's that the 3.0/3.1/3.2 stroker guy's use. Those are really the only main peices that I can think of off the top of my head other than if it has a good starter and maybe the a/c if it has it.

I'm in the same boat, I sold off the L24 rod's and still have 1 of my E88 head's left along with the P30? L24 block and all the rest of the engine that I might take with me on my next trip to the scrap yard for a few dollars. Would be nice to keep it in case I feel like being nostalgic and want an original L24 back in the car one day but there's only so much room which is already occupied by my current RB20DET project and a few 13BT ( Rotary Engine from the Rx-7 FYI ) engine's that I have to build for some customer's.

Have you tried your local craigslist to see if anybody nearby might want it for like $10 or even free for their restoration project?

The E88 head with all it's valvetrain would be worth pulling and trying to sell as well as the connecting rod's as they are the commonly used rod's that the 3.0/3.1/3.2 stroker guy's use. Those are really the only main peices that I can think of off the top of my head other than if it has a good starter and maybe the a/c if it has it.

I'm in the same boat, I sold off the L24 rod's and still have 1 of my E88 head's left along with the P30? L24 block and all the rest of the engine that I might take with me on my next trip to the scrap yard for a few dollars. Would be nice to keep it in case I feel like being nostalgic and want an original L24 back in the car one day but there's only so much room which is already occupied by my current RB20DET project and a few 13BT ( Rotary Engine from the Rx-7 FYI ) engine's that I have to build for some customer's.

Have you tried your local craigslist to see if anybody nearby might want it for like $10 or even free for their restoration project?

I haven't actually tried craigslist yet, not a bad idea though. I didn't really want to pull that head off but if its worth something I may go ahead and pull it. I really wanted it to go to someone who would use it but that was back when I had a 2000sq/ft shop and could afford to have entire engines and transmissions laying around taking up space. Now I'm down to my garage and a 5x10' storage unit.

Actually, the longer L-24 rods (5.24inch) are only worth anything if they have the 9 mm bolts. These are found on L-24s with serial # after 096182. They usually go for 100-150 per set. The 5.24 rods with the 8 mm bolts are much less desirable but can be upgraded with ARP 8 mm rod bolts. I don't know if the 8 mm ARP rod bolts are as strong as OE 9mm bolts much less ARP 9mm rod bolts.