HybridZ

engine setup question

Hi everyone I'm kind of new to the game and this forum , so please bare with me. I bought a 73 240z about two months ago. The interior was almost completely gutted. All the glass were off. Also, no wiring harness. It did

however, come with a freshly rebuilt motor and a 4 speed tranny. It had a set of new headers and full exhaust. It didn't come with the intake and carbs. The guy told me that he was building a track car. He had alot of parts to put the car back together. Plus I had a complete 240 for parts. Anyways, My thought at the time was get it painted, put the wiring harness in with my dash, put on my intake and carbs and get it started, put all the glass back in with the weatherstrip that came with it, the lights next, then drive it while I consider a V8 swap. I just got it started today. I guess my question is on the setup of the engine that came with it. From what I can tell, the engine never ran until today. Its an L28 block with an n47 head. I took the valve cover off and saw e3o on the camshaft. Is it worth using as a base for anything? Any explanation or thoughts on the setup would be helpful.

post-6599-12675083690919_thumb.jpg

post-6599-12675086748094_thumb.jpg

post-6599-12675091174113_thumb.jpg

This is a VERY common post topic...... "where to start".

Here is what most will say. Figure out what you want the car to be. Then go from there.

Start with some searching its the only way to answer your question with out someone force feeding you their opinion. Searching is your BEST friend!

That being said if the L28 is truly a fresh rebuild, USE IT! This will give you a great base line performance feel. You will get an idea of where you want to take your project.

Hope you enjoy your time here on HBZ.

This is a VERY common post topic...... "where to start".

Here is what most will say. Figure out what you want the car to be. Then go from there.

Start with some searching its the only way to answer your question with out someone force feeding you their opinion. Searching is your BEST friend!

That being said if the L28 is truly a fresh rebuild, USE IT! This will give you a great base line performance feel. You will get an idea of where you want to take your project.

Hope you enjoy your time here on HBZ.

Ditto on all of that. :)

Fill in your location, that helps.

Welcome to the forum, search is your friend. I would use the L28 until you make up your mind about the V8 swap (which I recommend). :)

I can definitely feel your pain when it comes to making this decision, if it helps any i'm currently in the process of ditching my t3/t04b l28et swap for a gen III chevy v8. The l28 is an awesome motor, sounds great, and produces good power but if you have your mind set on a v8 there are few things that can compete with ones desire for a nice push rod motor.