HybridZ

Warriors 3, Celica vs Z vs the horse

vega

Something I have been studying lately is the era from which my car came from. I currently own a 1978 280z, now in that time period the cars that were competing with the car were the Toyota Celica Gt, and the Mustang Cobra ii v8.

I am 24 years of age so I really don't know how things were back then, but what was considered the better car? The 302 cobra? the dohc gt celica?

So take your bias aside and actually consider the facts. What was car to have here in America for our youth? Also I would like to know the reason for your answers if you will.

Thanx in advance- Vega.

faster than the 302 stang?

Home » Classic Mustang Picture Gallery » 1974 Mustang to 1978 Mustang Pictures

Images 1 to 60 of 159 Page 1 · 2 · 3 » View GalleryThumbnail-with TitlesGroup By MemberPuzzle Per Page 6015202530456090

1974 Mustang to 1978 Mustang Pictures

The Mustang II was built based on the smaller Pinto platform. In 1974 the engine selection was limited to either a 2.3L four cylinder or a 2.8L 105 horsepower V6, from Ford of Germany. This was the only year a V8 engine was not available in a Mustang and it was also the first year no convertible was available. From 1975 through 1978 the Mustang II did offer a 302 2bbl V8, but as with all engines of the time, it was low on power with only 122 to 140 horsepower, depending on the year and whether it was 49-state or a California car.

These were the "Dark Ages" of automotive performance as the industry got hit with a double whammy of pollution controls and gas mileage concerns. It took about ten years for computer controlled engines to return performance to us. While the Mustang II was smaller, more fuel efficient and handled better than previous Mustang generations, however it also lacked the performance of other Mustang generations.

With 122-140hp, the mustang II 302 wasn't exactly a screamer. I really liked the 75, 76 celica's, and had a 78, and a 78 celica supra. But I really always wanted the Z. It was definately quicker than the others of the time. I didn't get my first Z until 82 when it was 4 years old, but I still have that one.