HybridZ

Full Paint Job

HZ Ryder

I had someone give me a quote for about 8k for a complete body paint job covering:

1- Pull every piece of trim, glass

2- do any body work

3- pull the interior apart

4- take the whole car down to metal,inside and outside

5- rino the underside

6- pull the quarter pannels

7- pull off body kit

8- primer everything

9- Paint the whole car, including the engine bay

10 reasemble.

Body work is very new to me, I am not a body person, nor have I ever done this type of work... Is the number fair

P.S. he also said that if he finds any body work where needs to fabricate anything (surprises) it won't cost extra

The kob is to take about three-four months

Any thoughts would be great

thanks

Not sure where you are, or what car you are talking about. For $8K you can get an extremely nice S30. If your rig is an early 240, it might be worth it if you are unable or unwilling to tackle some of the labor yourself. But for what it's worth, if the body shop is reputable, and does ALL that labor, then $8K might be reasonable. All depends on how much you love your car, and how much you are willing to pay.

Post details and pics. You might get better answers.

Seems VERY high to me. Then again it depends on what he normally paints, what materials he uses, how many coats, and the paint will be perfect and if there are any complaints or one tiny spec, he'll repaint the whole car again and make it perfect.

Also not knocking the guy...but it seems like that 8k is verryyyyyy cummmfffyyy for him for him to put this on paper.

"he also said that if he finds any body work where needs to fabricate anything (surprises) it won't cost extra. The kob is to take about three-four months"

Andi can just say most paint/body on any cars ive seen for damn good jobs for 2500-4k (not perfect "only going to be a show car") but any street driven car shouldnt need 8k worth of work (just saying). If you got the cash to blow i would buy another car already done.

Only paint ive seen for that much is close to 10 total layers....and looks like you could fall 10 feet into the paint its painted so perfectly and soooo much clear. But this ofcourse is all on old rods/trucks that sit in a warehouse and only taken to shows in covered trailers.

**edit there was a truck that competed in the standing mile here in texas that got totally trashed that has a 30k paintjob (owner said) but the truck was worth 150k and had a fully built race motor**

Edited by sticky280zx

8k would sound like lunacy for any normal car, but given the amount of body work a typical Z would need, it could be close. Unless you are going to the best of the best, I would get another quote. Ask someone you know who got something similar done. That would be the route I'd take.

Has anyone on here had a full blast paint and restore done for them? If so how much did they pay. Who did they use?

Its interesting to listen to opinions of what a paint job should cost. The comments reflect personal standards , financial affordability, knowledge variables. Now add into the mix condition of the car, color , and region and you get some complicated data to sort out.

Lets look at some basics that should be considered.

Time study guides (flat rate book ) .There are posted times to paint each panel on a Z. These times are based on painting a new undamaged panel and are a good reference point to start from. If you had a new replacement fender for your car the book states it should take 2.5 hours to prepare and refinish the exterior of the panel and .5 hours to paint the inner edges. All panels of the car have a time assigned to them. Hood exterior (2.6 ) Door w/jamb (3.3) ect. There are corrections allocated for overlap and ad ons for getting exterior panels to the condition of a new part. Once the total time has been calculated industry standards apply a dollar amount per paint labor hour for materials and color. Flat rate time for painting all new condition panels is around 35 hours. This time also reflects a car that is apart and requires no masking. It doesnt include the engine compartment or other interior areas. Now add the time to remove the old finish , Many believe this is not necessary . This statement only shows ones inexpierience of the correct process. Any finish over 10 years old should be stripped. You're only throwing away good money and will jeopordize the lifespan of the new paint. Figure about $900.00 to $1200.00 to media blast the body. Be aware that this will not remove any rust.

Paint and material costs will vary depending on several things. Basecoat/clearcoat paints are more costly than single stage enamels. Reds are more expensive than whites and black. Pearls and tricoats are most costly than metallics. Good automotive paints ( DuPont, Sikkens , ect.) are significantly more costly than fleet paints ( Nason, Matrix. ect.).

We have seen reds and orange pearls on standard late model colors at $500.00 plus for a gallon of basecoat. Yes , many will complain that that is just way to expensive but that is the going rate , if that is the color you want.

I'm not going into what the body work would cost to restore each panel to new condition as that could take a long time to explain but plan at least 1/2 to 3/4 of the cost of painting minimum.

Quick recap

Refinish exterior panels 35 hours @ $$.$ per hour

Rates can vary from region to region ( $45.00 to $ 95.00)

Add labor for Clearcoat 3.5 to 6.5 hours @ $$.$ per hour

Paint Materials $25.00 to $40.00 )per paint labor hour .

Additional Clearcoat materials same as above.

Color sand and buff can vary depending on desired finish . Figure between 12 to 20 hours @ $$.$ per hour.

A quick add of the numbers runs a range of around $3500.00 for a quicky paint to about $9200.00 on the other side. This upper figure doesnt represent a show finish where the entire car would be water sanded with #1000 paper and recleared and buffed a second time to get an orange peel free finish.

If your talented , have a work area available for an extended time and have lots of time on your hands, you can do this yourself and limit your expenses to basically material costs and your time but you wont get a quality professional job for $3000.00.

Best Regards

Larry

I posted the above on a thread a while back . It should still be relevant. Be aware that the above information makes no consideration for any body or metal repair as well as labor for disassembly and reassembly. Plug in your area shop rates and you should come up with a ballpark dollar amount.

Many will say you can do it cheaper or do this or that. You know what your expectations are for a finished car and what you can afford. I will tell you this much and I speak from an experienced prospective. For all the work quoted in you post , the cost seems cheap and the time frame to short ! Don't be surprised if something goes astray , takes longer or the cost goes up. Don't forget to factor costs for items such as carpets , chrome and the like.

Do the smart thing, ask the person who quoted the price for a couple of references from past clients and ask to see his finished product.

Edited by palosfv3

some older chick told me shes going to have her 82zx repainted and bodywork for 10k. i almost puke but i guess that is actually in the ball park range. i didn't almost puke because of the price, because it was a s130 redone for 10k? common, go buy yourself a new one.