HybridZ

bolt-on flares, are they for real

fl327

hey guys, in accordance to that last thread i checked out the fiberglass stuff over at classic datsun, and saw those great flares, i was wondering if they really let you run wider tires, i was interested in getting some 15x8-10's and like how those look, not too big not too small you know what i mean, i also like how they look real racey, like mean, like"man i need bigger tires, lets cut em up and bolt these flares on" do they really let you run the wide meats or are they for show???

thanx for any help

Leonard

"i wont do it unless it makes rubber"

Guest Anonymous

They look like you may get a bit more room on the outside with them, you'd probably have to trim the fender lips and inner fender to make use of much of it. I believe (feel free to jump in and make me look foolish... its ok... icon_smile.gif )they were period pieces when the variety of tire sizes/aspect ratios and backset/offset of rims was super limited. They were a Japanese add on flare for slightly wider tires (what 14's at the time?). Who knows though, perhaps with the backsets they have now and those flares, you may be able to squeeze some fairly large meat in there.

Regards,

Lone

Len, I saw guys that had the "ZG flares" at the Nat's and some cut their inner fender, while others did not. Owen has them on his car I think, but he has yet to cut up his inner fender...

Owen would know what the correct tire & wheel size would be for those flares.

David

The correct rim/tire width? I don't know actually, I would try to find specs on the orignal 240ZG and use that as a the smallest wide tire you can use. I have 245's on the rear, coilovers, no fender rolling (haven't driven it though so...). The wheels are 16 x 10inch with -12 offset I believe.

Even then the tire edge does not come out all the way to the fender lip.

Owen

Guest JAMIE T

I'm trying to work a deal to get a '71 240Z with those flares. That car has pretty wide Centerlines on it, I don't know exact size(maybe a 9" or 10") of wheel or the tire size, but I think it is maybe a 245 or 235, the wheels are 14" though. I've got some 17"x8.5" Steeda wheels, with 275/40/17 tires, that I'm going to try. Those tires are about a foot wide, and the wheels have, I think a 6" back space. I haven't measured, but they came off my mustang. I will need some adapters. The guys coming to look at my El Camino tomorrow. I hope he takes the bait, and we trade even(I might have to come off some cashola though) Wish Me Luck!!!

Jamie

Deathstar 250GTO

sounds good to me, i dont care about cutting up fender wells, its all in the name of performance, and getting the pizza cutters out of my life, i think i may go pretty big with the flares, i want some ridiculously wide tires that make the front 15x7's look like honda spare tires... i wish.. man that guys car in the photos looks hard...

If your gonna mount tires that stick out youll have to trim teh fenders or the tires will rub no matter what size overfender you install. i cut out mineall teh way up to where the original fender lips start. check out the 2 different flares i have from japan. the bigger ones are for sale. im running 15x10s in teh rear. with teh right offset teh bigger one would cover 12 inchers ;> http://www.geocities.com/stonehac/my_rb26gtr260z_page.html

Guest Anonymous

i got a question...im think of getting the honda offset thingies to fit honda rims...well how would i make my wheels come out like this to the edge of the fender? probably longer bolts and a custom spacer right? 100-0032_img.jpg

Guest JAMIE T

S30, that car is right on man!!! I just got a 71 240Z with the ZG flares and airdam and a tall rear spoiler. Your car is sweet. Where do I get some smooth bumpers? I was thinking of welding up all the holes in some and grinding them smooth and having them re-chromed. Once again, your car hits the spot.

Jamie

Deathstar

Guest JAMIE T

I got my '71 240Z this evening. Anyone willing to post some picks for me? I dont have a web address(I think thats what one needs to post picks) The car is real tuff looking. Those wheels on the car above would help it look better though icon_biggrin.gif

Jamie

Deathstar

Guest Anonymous

yeah, they are long champs..i wanted a set untill i found out the price...2400 for four. can anyone awnser my previous question?

The answer to your previous question is yes, you are right; that is exactly what it takes. Get the rims you like and then figure out what size spacer you need. You may also have to get longer wheel studs to account for the spacer--it really depends on the rim you purchase.

David

I forgot to mention: Evan (EvanPurpleZ) sells the spacers--find a thread he posted from a while back in the general part of the forum and email him for a price. You could look up "Sweet Jesus...progress" and you'll find it using the search function.

[ June 20, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks Jim. Now that the Z is mine, I will take some better pics of it(I took that one while the guy was test driving my El Camino) Hope you guys like it(I need to feel accepted icon_wink.gif ) The car fits the Deathstar image well, it even has skull door locks and valve stem caps icon_razz.gif

Jamie

Deathstar