HybridZ

The start to something awesome #2

Ben, there are plenty of people making real good power and reliability with megasquirt on even totally stock turbo motors.  You are having a problem because one or more variables are wrong somewhere, either in the hardware, software, or greaseware.  Now you proved that you can make power with the blow through triples, which is much more rare nowadays than what you have now.  That said, you know the blow through setup like the back of your hand and maybe for you, that's the way to go.  But the evil may come back to haunt you if you don't figure out the problems you are having now.  It can be done and there are plenty of folks that will back me here. 

Edited by cygnusx1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not say back of my hand. I had lots of help from Tony. I love being turbo. But its not easy over here to get a rider to tune or its not easy to drive or tow the car 4 hours round trip to a dyno. This is boon fawk egypt with not many options unless i have a sbc with a 1150 toilet bowel on my intake.

Its very easy for people to sometimes forgot and Tony is aware when you live in the sticks well......options are low. Problem is greed mostly. Sometimes i wish i had another z so i could romp the piss out of it and not beat the turbo car so much.

Edited by yetterben

There were issues with the Blow Through System as well. People forget, the greatness of the internet is that you can go back to 'page 1' and read from the beginning.

The primary rule when putting on any aftermarket system is 'put it on a properly running car'... The caveat for Megasquirt has been from the beginning 'don't put this on an EFI car with problems and think it will solve it, it may not be with the EFI'

Any kind of endeavor like this has to be viewed as a 'whole car' approach. The electrical system on the 240 is marginal to begin with, an upgraded alternator and good battery are crucial to have ANY EFI system work. Guys putting MS into GM's are blessed with alternators which are HUGE in comparison and can handle stuff like this without much ado. But on the little Datsuns you have to look at what the factory did when they went to the second-generation EFI (ECCS)---not only did they swap in a gear reduction starter on the ZXT to keep from draining the battery voltage down while cranking the engine, as well as going to an internally regulated 85A alternator.

If you are running electric fans (10 or so amps each), rotary fuel pump (10-15 amps) you have already run out of the stock 35 A Hitachi alternator.

The #1 problem with MS after wiring issues, is bad power. Same thing for SDS users... It's not MS - Specific.

Get the power production up to par so that the alternator can handle the power requirements at idle or close to it, and THEN see what the problem starts to be. My bet is things get better with more juice to all the e-toys in the car. Especially after the sun goes down!

I have not run a MS on a car WITHOUT at LEAST the ZX internally-Regulated Alternator and a gear reduction starter (ZXT engine swap). I figure if Nissan Engineers said it was a good idea in a second generation EFI Car, then it probably is a good idea for mine as well!

I ran either, could swap from NA to turbo in an hour.

Remove turbo stuff, put the header back on, swap the the other jet set, and go running.

"Wasn't this car Turbo at the AutoX yesterday?"

That was yesterday... B)

Then again those epoxy injector bungs and gutted 40 DCOE's don't sound like such a bad alternative now, right?

Edited by Tony D

• 2 weeks later...