HybridZ

The start to something awesome #2

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Updates: Well i was having some issues with my carbies over the last week. They got torn down and rebuilt today. Got my idle tuned in to 13.7-13.5 steady. :blink:

I also went up on my jets from 145 to 165 today. What a difference. 11.5 WOT car saw 125 in 4th gear for the first time today. In a hurry i might ad.

I have also added a stag 2 snow performance methanol kit to the car and am pleased to say it works fantastic. Not only does it cool my intake charge down a ton it drops my afr's down to 10.8-11.2.

As a added bonus i get a nice steady blue flame coming from the tailpipe when it comes on at 10psi. Bad side affect trans tunnel gets a lot hotter. I have turned the boost up to 18psi which i think is the max i can run for right now. I must say i believe i am way over 400 now.

My goal for tomorrow is to buy a scanner get my first dyno sheet scanned in and go back on friday for another pull. I might put off the second session though as i am going to secure a megajolt and a edis setup. With this i should be able to do all sorts of evil things :)

My goal in all this is to see how far i can push a N/A zx block. I must say i am more than pleased with the outcome and drive-ability of this system.

Again its not better than efi but it is better than the stock efi i am sure.

When you look under my hood its a frankenstein of old meets new. Its truly a site to see. 18psi is a hoot and i cant wait to see what i lay down for numbers. 20psi is in the future but in order for me to push it that far its gonna need to be on the dyno.

Gas mileage has sunk to a all new low with a estimated mpg at wot around 4mpg.

Gotta pay to play.

Edited by yetterben

• 4 weeks later...

Well in a freak over boosting yesterday i destroyed my ring lands. I only removed 5 and 6 i am sure the others are the same. Cyl 6 at the bottom of the bore actually has a chunk missing...of the bore!!!!!!!!! So i am left with a block that is worthless. Crank seems unscathed. FAWK i wish a rod came threw the side of the block it would have been cooler.......... :D

If yah look close you can see the skirt is cracked too. I have the datalog from when this happened and i was not lean nor was it hot 180 to be exact at the head sensor. Which leaves me to timing which is locked in at 18 but the boost spiked to 18 or so.

Car hauled ass for oh......3 seconds until poof out came the magic smoke.

P1030309.jpg

P1030311.jpg

P1030310.jpg

well all 6 have destroyed ring lands and the number 1 rod is deformed. Which means the crank is toast too. Gigty gigty :blink:

I guess it is time to get a new long block? Man, that really sucks. If you need help sourcing one I know of an L28et that was offered to me for $300. It is in Indiana, like 15 minutes from me. I got a feeling it will be to hard to get to you though.

The local founder of a Minnesota z car club forum has graciously donated a l28et block with a blown head gasket to me.

In all my years as a auto tech and enthusiast i have never rebuilt a motor. I was a little worried. I have built plenty of Rotary and many custom 3 and 4 rotors just never a "BOINGER" This has been a learning experience. This is something i have been meaning to do for years. Its time i learn to rebuild a piston motor. Its just the cost right now is not in the books. I need my car at least driving. So with his gracious donation hopefully i will be up and running. gonna keep it at 10psi for some time until i can master building motors. It's always been so daunting to me because of all the specs and measuring. There is not much of that in a rotary build.

Ahhh yes - yet another victim of the boost/detonation bug. Not sure if you saw my post of the broken skirt in my #3. I feel your pain bro. Turns out I had flattops in the stocker and not dished like the guy told me. Have dished in there now and have hit at least 20psi on a couple occasions. I say at least 20 - my boost controller is not working properly, but my gauge is, and it pegs the needle at 20 and holds it there. Still waiting on the tuner guy to get back in town so I can get it up on the dyno and have a pro dial in the boost. Sorry to hear about your mishap Ben - sh** happens - and a lot mor sh** happens the more boost you add. Quite addictive isn't it?

You gave up smoking - you'll NEVER give up boost!!!