HybridZ

.008" shaved

Jehannum

I'm rebuilding my 240Z after it got crunched last May. I'm nearing the end game here (just have to paint the engine bay and reinstall everything), and I just got my head back from the machine shop.

Initially, it was just there to have the #1 exhaust stud extracted. I had them check the straightness too, and they shaved .008" off the bottom (there was a low spot between 3 and 4).

Do I need to shim the cam towers? I know it's required for > .015", but I'm hard pressed to find any shims on the market <.010" in thickness.

Probably an elementary question, but searching "cam tower shim" on this site comes up with people who are milling .040" off for compression reasons more than people like me who are quite happy with a stock L24.

I'm rebuilding my 240Z after it got crunched last May. I'm nearing the end game here (just have to paint the engine bay and reinstall everything), and I just got my head back from the machine shop.

Initially, it was just there to have the #1 exhaust stud extracted. I had them check the straightness too, and they shaved .008" off the bottom (there was a low spot between 3 and 4).

Do I need to shim the cam towers? I know it's required for > .015", but I'm hard pressed to find any shims on the market <.010" in thickness.

Probably an elementary question, but searching "cam tower shim" on this site comes up with people who are milling .040" off for compression reasons more than people like me who are quite happy with a stock L24.

Probably not. .008" is more clean up then a shave.

The cut/shave, can change your cam timing... :(

Assuming the cam is degreed properly when installed, I'm not sure exactly how this could happen. The ratio between the cam and the crank is completely independent of the length of the chain connecting them. I could understand if the tensioner couldn't take up that much slack.

The lenght of the chain between the sprockets determines timing. The slack side is irrelevant.

This is why Mercedes Benz makes offset keyways for their V8 cam sprockets. This enables you to degree the cam and account for/compensate for chain stretch/dimensional differences. I've used them, and done it.

Think about it . The cam must rotate to take up the slack of the shaved head....... :o

Edited by jasper

The lenght of the chain between the sprockets determines timing. The slack side is irrelevant.

This is why Mercedes Benz makes offset keyways for their V8 cam sprockets. This enables you to degree the cam and account for/compensate for chain stretch/dimensional differences. I've used them, and done it.

Think about it . The cam must rotate to take up the slack of the shaved head....... :o

Those are tools for degreeing the cam, I guess I was just assuming either the factory sprocket had a hole that worked, or an adjustable sprocket.

Degreeing the cam/timing the cam,......same thing.

The only cars I can remember having factory adjustable cam gears were the early Jaguar L6 engines. Not an easy task. Made a big change when you got them right.

Edited by jasper

Officialy jacked!

With a used chain and sprockets and a clean-up cut on the head, you may be in sprocket hole #2 to get the cam timing right. If it's a toss up between #1 and #2 holes, I recommend #2 since that is the direction that wear is going to take you.

DAW

With a used chain and sprockets and a clean-up cut on the head, you may be in sprocket hole #2 to get the cam timing right. If it's a toss up between #1 and #2 holes, I recommend #2 since that is the direction that wear is going to take you.

DAW

Ding Ding Ding...and common sense prevails biggrin.gif

Im sort of in the same situation.Im sending my stuff to the shop tomorrow And ill bet it will need a deck cleaning and some pretty normal machine work.In your situation wouldnt a thicker head gasket solve this?Are there different thickness headgaskets made for these motors?I would asume yes becuase anyone who has had machine work and wants to return the motor to stock configurations would absolutely need one.On an L24 what is the max you can machine of of the deck and the head before you have to fly cut pistons or run compression too high or run into cam timing issues?what size head gaskets are available?