HybridZ

Surge tank

I am actually starting a company making surge tanks! But a recent car accident has kept me from manufacturing any :(. One of the styles I am making is perfect for your application, as well. What size barb fittings are you going to be using? I can probably fab one up for you, although it may be mild steel since I haven't hired a TIG welder yet.

One pump street/autocross car. Barb fittings are prefred. .5 gallon is good. Mounting in engine bay.

We had time today to mack a serge tank today here some pics .the under side was rolled on a English wheel to fit the fender

This to fit 1/2 a gallon of fuel and two pumps

2x8 AN

3x6 AN

0.90 ali sheet

let me know what you think

this is just to show you where you can fit a serge tank in a 240-260

post-10830-12694848668322_thumb.jpg

post-10830-12694849714706_thumb.jpg

post-10830-12694850614124_thumb.jpg

post-10830-12694852577054_thumb.jpg

post-10830-12694853742182_thumb.jpg

post-10830-12694854665838_thumb.jpg

post-10830-12694855696107_thumb.jpg

post-10830-12694859270165_thumb.jpg

post-10830-12694861431527_thumb.jpg

On the forum. I need a cylinder with a mount on the back. Its going in the engine bay. all the ones on ebay are flat mount on the trunk or floor.

I mocked one up that will fit in the engine bay .It can be set up to use barb fittings .It holds about 1/2 a gallon of fuel .

The pics are just to show that it can be fitted under the hood with out taking up a lot of space .we might send it out to polish it up

1/2 gallon seems very very large to me. Make it tall and skinny and you could probably cut that down by a factor of 2 or 3 (or more) and not have starvation problems. If you do it right the surge tank should be packed full of fuel by the low pressure pump anyway. As an example, how long does it take the high pressure low volume FI to pump 20 oz of fuel? How long does it take a low pressure high volume pump to fill a 20 oz reservoir. Seems to me if the FI pump pumps slower than the carb pump, you really shouldn't be running the surge tank dry. Doubly so because there is a restrictor in the FI system and none in the surge tank system. This carb pump puts out just over double what the Walbro 255 does: http://www.summitrac...arts/SUM-G3136/ Seems to me also that the larger the surge tank is the more potentially dangerous it is. It is after all a reservoir full of gasoline, and if I were picking I'd rather the small reservoir of gasoline be punctured in an accident.

Disclaimer: these are the musings of someone who has not used a surge tank. I always figured the float bowls in the carbs were surge tank enough for me, and so far that idea hasn't failed me.

Edited by JMortensen

this surge tank was for a z car that has a RB26 looking to make 700-1000 HP plus with two Bosch fuel pumps and 1000-1600cc injectors not for carbs

1600 cc injectors makes a difference. If you figure that one 10 second WOT blast down the drag strip is going to pump out about a liter to 1.6 liters of fuel with those injectors going full bore, maybe the size makes a bit more sense, but you're still taking a pretty big risk having that much fuel out of the cell IMO. Why not get a cell with an internal surge tank if it needs to be that big? I know bjhines bought one from Fuel Safe and clifton actually made his own. Looks like you have the skills to do it that way. Just seems like nearly 1/2 gallon of fuel is a lot to be carting around under the hood. That's potentially a fairly large fireball.