HybridZ

tripple mikuni carb id?

mossy74

I'm trying to find out if these tripple mikunis are suitable for my L24, from looking at wolfcreek racing website they seem to be OEM 40mm mikunis from a toyota, has anyone used this type before and is the FET manifold any good?

post-1622-12709493613819_thumb.jpg

From the picture they are solex carbs not mikunis. I have not followed Solex in the last years but they were a step down from webers in the 60s. The TIA BMWs had webers and the TI had solex. As for jets you need to do some research.

Those are MIKUINI carburettors (click and enlarge the photo, and this becomes obvious), and came on Toyota 2TG and 18RG engines into the early 80's. (Please understand MIKUINI PHH Series Carburettors are SOLEX LICENSE, All the early Mikuini Carbs had SOLEX on the jet cover originally as per the license agreement...)

They work fine on the L-Engine, it was a common swap in Japan since they were so plentiful. These aren't the 'latest' version used in the 80's on Camry's and etc, but late 70's carbs. They only have a couple of emissions components. If you get a standard 'square top PHH' cover, it will replace the Toyota Cover and they will be indistinguishable from non-emissions carbs.

Later carbs have some wires connected to the cover to warm bimetallic strips for some EVAP and Starter functions.

Earlier carbs from Toyotas have 44mm bores and spacers to make them 'neck down' at the front to 40mm. Usually people will run without those (that's what the front dimpled bosses on the carbs are for, guys....the ones that aren't drilled on the 44phh and later 40phh's!) as the carb flows better without them, you use 44mm velocity stacks.

Man, I can't count how many of those I've put on Z's and Skylines when I was in Japan. The FET may have a hood clearance issue, depending on the height of the crossbar heim joints. I just picked up another FET manifold like that off Yahoo Japan Auctions (thanks yetterben!) and was looking at it in the box today! I have plans for this one...especially for the price I got it for!

Edited by Tony D