HybridZ

Risks of using no flywheel dowel pins?

jacob80

Hey guys,

Yesterday, I attempted to install my new ACT NX2-HDG6 pressure plate/clutch setup with no success. I ended up pulling my Fidanza aluminum flywheel off and discovered that my dowel pins run on too small of a diameter compared to what the ACT wants (bigger diameter), which results in misalignment of dowel pins, but my six bolt holes still line up. The only solution I can see is to remove the dowel pins. What is the risk of running without these? Hopefully it is okay, because apparently other members have done the same via this link:

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/69817-fidanza-aluminum-flywheel-problems-not-for-240mm/

Let me know guys, I've having my machine shop remove the dowel pins for me at lunch. Thanks!!!

Okay, update:

I just called Fidanza and he said that they do not install dowel pins from the factory and that whoever I bought it from must have installed them. I bought it from the seller on eBay:

My link

WHat he said was that their flywheel for the 280zx has two patterns for the dowel pins; one for a 225mm clutch and one for a 240mm clutch. As of now, I am going to assume that where the dowel pins are now, they are aligned for the 225mm clutch, and that is what I had been using prior to switching over to a 240mm. Although the manufacturer has stated this, I am still a little worried. I keep looking at this photo and I only see that one dowel pin hole is going to line up, but it may be just the way I am looking at it or how the photo has been taken:

fidanza_flywheel006.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. I'd like to hear from some guys with some experience. Thanks!!

Without knowing anything about anything in comparison to the brains here at hbz, I'm going to answer your question to the best of my ability.

My guess is that your 6 high torque bolts have more to do with the flywheel's performance than does the 3\16" dowel. I'd say you're probably fine.

I would think so, as well. From what I've read, the dowels are used for alignment purposes. Apparently others have run a 240mm setup on these flywheels from this forum, and I haven't heard any complaints, so I would think it would work.

I seemed to have no luck pulling them out, but I have solved my problem. Like I said, Fidanza stated that the flywheel dowel pins are drilled for 225mm and 240mm, and sure enough, it is! I had a machine shop pull the dowels and the pressure plate now lines up great. Thanks for all your help guys, now hopefully I can get it on the car along with the transmission with no hassle! :)

I fought those Fidanza dowel pins and won.  Here's how.  If you need to relocate them to a different hole and you won't be placing it back in the hole it's stuck into, do this.  Get a hammer and beat them gently side to side, left to right, up and down, all around the clock face.  This will open up the hole drilled in the aluminum and loosen the pins.  You can then yank them out with a vice grip and a screwdriver for leverage.  NOTE AGAIN:  Those holes will now be useless but you can put the dowels back into the correct hole set for your clutch. 

Edited by cygnusx1

Dowel pins have nothing to do with stength. They are there for alignment. If the clutch pack is just a little out of alignment you will experience a lot of vibration. Something will eventually give and things will come apart.

Strictly speaking, dowels can handle more shear loading than bolts because they aren't threaded. Threads are stress risers making dowels much stronger size for size. That said, I think in this case the purpose of the dowels is alignment as you said. If Dave's suggestion to move them is doable, that's what I would do.

And that is what I did! :) I took the flywheel down to the machine shop and it looked like he pulled them out with a slide hammer for $7.00. Then, while I was in there, he said it would be silly not to resurface it for an extra $12.00, so I did and she hooks up like a mother now, thanks guys!!!! Now I'm just dealing with some rear end noise...grrrr!!!!