HybridZ

Corroded Wiring issue....

Well first off, my car is a 1978 280z with stock engine... and wiring :/

Has anyone ever rebuilt their stock fuel injection harness? because im having a PITA time getting my car to run smoothly, but its hard to diagnose something when almost every wire going to anything doesn't have correct voltage going through it, and im thinking it's just my wiring that's causing the car to run bad. I went through my underhood relays other day and measured voltage going through each wire, and out of all of them there was maybe 3 wires that had around 12V volts rest were around 10V.

If you have rebuilt your harness, did you color code it, or? Also where can you buy those little terminals for inside the stock connectors (underdash)?

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Additionally it is IMPERATIVE to use the proper ground reference.

Probe the headlights with the common wire to chassis ground and you will get an interesting result! And I don't know how many 'pros' I see do that and start wanting to rip out wires and run new ones!

I will second what KTM said: connections and backshells in connections.

Though the 260 and 280Z are known for poor butt-splices in the harness itself. This usually is manifested in a 'no crank' situation easily remedied by installation of a bypassing relay from an old 6V Ford Truck. Lets full battery voltage go from the B+ to the Solenoid "S" terminal directly. Functions down to a voltage of 3VDC before the Ford Relay has an issue pulling in!

What speficifally is your issue? Poor Running can be many things.

I've not found a harness yet that wasn't easier to rehabilitate with new connectors and spot repairs than a total rewire. That is a job and a half. You don't want to do that. Take it from me!

If you do, color code it, and or wire mark the HELL out of it. And ANY modifications you make: WRITE IT DOWN!

Well first off, my car is a 1978 280z with stock engine... and wiring :/

Has anyone ever rebuilt their stock fuel injection harness? because im having a PITA time getting my car to run smoothly, but its hard to diagnose something when almost every wire going to anything doesn't have correct voltage going through it, and im thinking it's just my wiring that's causing the car to run bad. I went through my underhood relays other day and measured voltage going through each wire, and out of all of them there was maybe 3 wires that had around 12V volts rest were around 10V.

If you have rebuilt your harness, did you color code it, or? Also where can you buy those little terminals for inside the stock connectors (underdash)?

Thanks!

Well if i would redo it now id go with a painless set up .. good part being you know how it works and where they run. making troubleshooting a hell of allot easier. The cost about 300USD with the fuse box and relays! Plus you dont have to invent it all yourself.

I have worked with a harness of them in our track car and i loved it!