HybridZ

Help on the six clutch R200 mod please. Now which fluid?

SATAN

I performed the 6 clutch mod on my 88 turbo CLSD. I added the appropriate number of shims to equal roughly 70-75lbs of break away. I added redline fluid (cant remember which kind right now).

Situation: Severe clunking in the rear end. Clunking is only while mildly accelerating and turning at the same time. Time on the diff since the swap is roughly 100 miles. Driving straight the diff acts normal.

Attempts to fix: I have pulled down the differential and tore it all the way down to the clutches to inspect it. Upon inspection there was no wear at all. I inspected all clutch disks on both sides, entire ring gear and entire pinion shaft, along with anything else that was apart. No wear at all.

I have also swapped out CV shafts to different units with no change.

I also mounted a camera on the bottom of the car to film the rear end to see if control arm's were clanging around or something. The vid showed nothing other than suspension behaving normally.

I have had people tell me that the sound is normal for the mod performed. I wish that were true however, it is extremely violent and I am having a hard time believing it is normal. But again, I cannot find any wear. The car is a 1985 300zx with solid crossmember mounts and solid diff mount. This probably amplifies the noise.

Here is a vid of me driving the car. You can tell I try to take it easy around the first turn to avoid clunking. But when I have to turn around you can hear it very well. It worries me...

http://www.youtube.com/user/satanz31

Basically, I am just looking for some input from people who have performed this mod. Does that sound along the lines of normal, or is my intuition correct in feeling like something is terribly wrong.

Edited by SATAN

Yes its full when it pours out of the upper plug (not the lower drain one) roughly middle of the diff cover slightly on the left side. I used 80/90 weight synthetic in my diff some people use thicker. I don't know anything about the vlsd I only have exp. with the clutch style ones.

Yes its full when it pours out of the upper plug (not the lower drain one) roughly middle of the diff cover slightly on the left side. I used 80/90 weight synthetic in my diff some people use thicker. I don't know anything about the vlsd I only have exp. with the clutch style ones.

VLSD uses standard gear oil just like the normal open differential. The viscous coupling inside is sealed with it's own fluid inside of itself.

Thank you guys for the suggestions on the friction modifier. I have some on the way. That is also what others have been telling me. So the consensus then IS that the sound IS normal until you add the friction modifier?

Also, Cannonball55- If that is a true 89 turbo (Not a conversion), hang on to it. They made just over 200 of the 89 turbo's, they are VERY rare.

Thank you guys for the suggestions on the friction modifier. I have some on the way. That is also what others have been telling me. So the consensus then IS that the sound IS normal until you add the friction modifier?

If it sounds like the ass end of the car is going to fall out and be laying in the street behind as you roll to a stop, then yeah, that's normal aggressive clutch chatter.

If it sounds like the ass end of the car is going to fall out and be laying in the street behind as you roll to a stop, then yeah, that's normal aggressive clutch chatter.

LOL, ok. I was freaking out. Glad to know it is normal. I will add the friction modifier and hope that it helps it out.

LOL, ok. I was freaking out. Glad to know it is normal. I will add the friction modifier and hope that it helps it out.

Ok, one more question. I am using the Red Line shock proof in my LSD. I was just told that this is a no no. That I should be using 80/90w with LSD additive. On that note, should it be synthetic or conventional? I just want to get the best performance out of this thing.

Pretty much any gear oil is going to be OK. I like SWEPCO 201 and it requires little or no LSD additive, depending on how tight you have it shimmed. Any quality gear oil should be fine and if you want to spend a little more on Amsoil, Redline, SWEPCO, etc. it's probably not going to hurt anything.