HybridZ

anyone interested in carbon fiber parts and such?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i came across some carbon fiber and some fiberglass...by some, i mean a lot...i've personally never worked with the stuff, but have a friend that is really good with fibeglass and has worked with carbon fiber a bit...we got to talking about making various parts from fiberglass and carbon fiber...i am willing to use my car as a mold(in the process of redoing it) for the parts...anyone interested just let me know. i'm not promising anything, but would be a fun thing to do. i may just do mine and be done with it. i want to do the dash, but not sure how that would look!?!

thanks for sittnig through that!

jazper

Heh, do a search. I think you'll find a couple of threads FILLED with requests for various parts. If you can make them you'll have folks standing in line. I myself would like a coupe of pieces done and if you're interested in making some 240Z pieces sign me up. I mostly want simple stuff too like the flat pieces behind the seat on the sides that are normally covered in vinyl. I'd also like door panels (much harder) and some sort of panel to cover the area where the heater panel is except I'd want it blank since I hope to run Vintage Air down the road. (shrug) A dash cap would be cool too but pretty darned difficult to mold....

Is that stuff prepreg?

Dashcap, simple, buy plastic dashcap then make mold from that and use it to put up the CF in.

Doorpanel, fill door up with some sort of foam, cut out the desired shape (ie. skulls and bones sticking out) with provision for speakers etc. and make mold from that and then lay up the CF in that. Then there's just the problem with the autoclave, just a high pressure oven. Take compressor tank cut off one end, weld on flange with boltholes, install heater element and voila.

Then, build a blowproof brickhouse around it icon_eek.gif

Thure

Hi jaZper.

We'd be interested in some fiberglass fenders and hood for a 1971 240Z. We were also wondering if any companies made the rear hatch from fiberglass? Anybody with info on this? Please let us know. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

I think a standard fiberglass hatch would be a bit of a waste of time, since the glass is the main wieght contributor, but a pantera style one would be a big wieght saving, it'll take time for the look to grow on me though.

I would DEFINITELY be interested in the Pantera style hatch insert sinc Arizona Z doesn't do the fiberglass stuff anymore and I remember various post where several other have expressed the desire. I'm in line.

CF dash would be cool, bit not just a cap. If you could mold in the mounting brackets etc, the CF should be stong enough on its own.That would be way cool icon_cool.gif

Tim

That Pantera style rear hatch looks pretty good. I was just wondering if it clears the S&W roll cage. I mean the bars that extend towards the back of the car. Anybody from HybridZ with this rear hatch? Any pics? Please let us know. Thanks icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Hmmm ceeenttterr cooonnnnsoole! Yeah, that would be WAY cool icon_biggrin.gif I'm not big on replacement parts like a hatch honestly. Weight savings would be low I'd think. Start small like the flat pieces behind the doors that I mentioned and then work up to door panels, dash covers, and consoles. Lot's of folks clammoring for CF parts....

• 4 years later...

Pantera Hatch... I think the California Hatch is similar. I saw one somewhere in zparts.com, I think? If you want to save weight, just build a CF hatch with scratch-resistent plastic instead of glass.

Dude, I know that you're new to the board and all. But please try and take a look at the date of the last post before you revive it. I don't think they're offering the CF parts anymore. However good job using the search function.

Tyson

Gotta admit, he did find what he was looking for!!:2thumbs:

Too bad someone doesn't just DO IT. Looks as if every one wants something in CF for the Z. The last CF dude had troubles getting the parts out. Is the CF cursed?