HybridZ

L20A injectors, where to find?

bigjohnsonzc

Hey guys, i got my 280z here and i wanna possibly change injectors.. the ones that are in are look like they are actually two different types and i think i would like to just get new ones all together.. my only probelm is where the heck can i get injectors for my Z? Its a 2.0L not a 2.8L that the normal US moddels have so injectors are kinda tough to come buy..it looks like the 240z injectors are the same but i dont know the CC's they produce.. i was hopeing someone here could tell me that the 2.4 or 2.8L injectors could work.. im just worried about the amount of fuel difference its going to produce, CC's wise. Will i even notice the difference?

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

located in San Diego California.. ill update that when i get home.. im just at work now.. hahaha.. and no they have not a clue as to what injectors i need or can use.. its a 1977 fairlady from Japan and has the L20 engine and when i get to that point of the conversation with any tech out here they look at me like im nutz.. figured someone here could help.

• Administrators

Looking for injectors for the L20A... Tony D might know or even have some... :wink:

For what its worth, the L20 was made in two versions, a 4 cylinder and a 6 cylinder. 4 cylinder is the L20B, 6 cylinder is the L20A. (Changed your thread title accordingly). :2thumbs:

thats funny cause i sure dont remember putting the A after the L20 part.. but .. ok.. yea i know theres a difference and it is a L20B..

the l20b is a carbed 4cyl, used in datsun sedans and coupes as well as a few trucks. The L20a is a 6cyl used in some JDM s30's.

Also the only 4 clyinder L-series that I know of, is the l18.

Edited by hoov100

Now im driving my self crazy.. i know this information.. but for some reason when i start typing my brain turns off.. go figure i wrench by trade and am not a computer nerd, thats for sure.. anyways.. ok sorry for the mix up... Here, its a L20A.. straight six fuel injected five speed.. lol cant screw that up! lol

Now im driving my self crazy.. i know this information.. but for some reason when i start typing my brain turns off.. go figure i wrench by trade and am not a computer nerd, thats for sure.. anyways.. ok sorry for the mix up... Here, its a L20A.. straight six fuel injected five speed.. lol cant screw that up! lol

Taking the time to proof read you're statements and make sure everything typed is understandable and clear, will help us to help you.

So it's an L20A, non turbocharged, from '77. I'm thinking that the injectors are 160cc units, but don't quote me on that. TonyD or Alan would know, I'm sure.

Also, hoov100, the L20 =/= L20A =/= L20B. L20/L20A are L6, L20B is L4, and the L20B came fuel injected in some markets, in the HA510.

Actually, it's an L20E...

There was an L20, which was a 6.

Then there was the L20A which was an evolutionary workup of the original from the "Cedric Custom 6" of the early-mid 60's.

The L4's started and were prolific L13, 14, 16, 18, 20B (the next generation L20...)

Then came the 4 cylinders LZ18, 20, 22, 24...

And the L20B was not just Carburetted, they had an EFI Version in the JDM...Very tasty manifold, BIIIIG runners on that plenum. Some guys will cut down an L28 plenum to 'make' and L20B/E plenum manifold, but the runners are puny by comparison!

The L20E had 17# injectors, while the L28 were 19#, the L20ET used the same injectors as the L28 N/A.

How much are they worth to you? B)

If you have a set of six, send them to RC Engineering. RC can clean, flowmatch and get you anything you want in the way of injectors.

I could go on and on.... :D

• 3 weeks later...

my only ishue is that I think there is two different types.. Or sized injectors being used.. Three of them look different from the other three.. So, that's why I wanted to just try and get new injectors. As in regards to the exact type of engine I have.. It is stamped on the block L20.. So to determine the exact from there I can give you a vin # if that would really help.. Where is RC engineering? Thanks guys for ur help here sorry it took a while t get back to you.

RC Engineering is in Torranc, they are on the web...

I have a Planters Cheese Ball Container full of L20E injectors out in the shed, some place. Figured they were the perfect size to use on my N/A 1641 VW Motor when I get around to going EFI on it...

I put those aside from 1985-1989, Megasquirt came out in what, 2001? I didn't have to wait that long, only a decade for affordable fuel injection!

well, ... what if i didnt wanna go threw the hassel of cleaning the old ones? what injecters would be a suitable replacement, CC/unit wise? for example if the old injecters are lets say 160 CC/units what would be a close replacement?

anyideas?

E.D. you have L20ET injectors, the L20E injectors are not green, and are a different P.N than the L28....unless they are on an L28E, then they are the same. This was already posted. Unless you have Nissan Documentation to back up your contention, I'd remove it E.D., it's fallicious.

Edited by Tony D

They aren't from L20ET's and are most definitely the same color and part numbers.

I find it hard to believe I could have gotten two sets of these injectors from two separate L20A's and have them turn out to be switched out. I'll give you pictures if you want, and I could go a step further and go to the junkyard

and take pictures of green injectors on more S130 Fairlady Z's. L20A's are 10x more common than L28's here because we didn't receive many actual 2.8 ZX's.

Maybe the cedrics and whatnot ran those ones you are talking about and these 'Fairlady Z' ran 180cc ones. I don't have any documentation but when every N/A L20 Z I've seen

is using green injectors, it's hard to think they were switched out or something. Also, I don't read Japanese because they are all Jap imports, and whatever documentation

there is would be in Japanese.

Also there is literally no such thing as an L28ET here because we never got it here.

I'll go out tonight and write down the part numbers. Don't mean to come off like I know this all for sure, but I'm just telling you my experience, which very much points to what I've stated.

Edited by evil_datto

IF the L20E Injectors are the same as an L28

AND the ECU 'varies the pulsewidth' for the smaller engine size

THEN an L28 installed with an L20E ECU will run lean in OPEN LOOP due to the preprogrammed pulsewidths.

WHY is this not the case?

WHY does an L28 with L28 injectors run RICH (noticably, like 10:1 AFR's) in this case?

If the injectors are the 'same' (regardless of color or numbers on them) this should be an identical swap with no change.

You're saying the S130 Fairlady 280Z with L28 has the same injectors as the L20E powered car? (And that an L20E and L20ET have therefore, THE SAME injectors---which is NOT the case!)

This was not the case when new, they were different part number (NISSAN part numbers, not injector part numbers.)

JECS part numbers may be the same, but internal differences change things.