HybridZ

Replica Seats at a great price . . but will they fit?

New-to-240z

Hey guys. I frequent this site as well as Zilvia and noticed that they have this bucket seat group buy going on right now. I don't know if the seats would fit in the Z's but with the quality and look . . . it might be worth looking into.

Here's the link

If someone can take a look at the dimensions and reply back with an idea of fitment issues . . . I would appreciate it.

My 73 240 z with sparco milanos has just over an inch between the widest part of the seat and the door panel. Sparco list the width as 22.1 inches.

Thank you Mark. That would mean that we have at most, a 23' clearance. I will measure my car when I can get down to my storage place. I wish I could measure it when I got home, but since I'm working on my garage right now, I had to put the Z into storage. The seat I was looking at was the following . . .

GS Seat, Reclinable Bucket Seat

GSK608.jpg

GS seat, the reclining bucket seats. This seat sits super low for a bottom mount seat. Similar to the Bride Low max system. Beautifully upholstered with red stitching.

AVAILABLE in BLACK or RED, and Black with gradation.

MSRP: $1300/seat

Price per PAIR (for single seat, just take off half the price):

No logo, FRP shell: $440

No logo, CF overlay shell: $560

No logo, Real CF shell: $750

Logo, FRP shell: $520

Logo, CF overlay shell: $640

Logo, Real CF shell: $830

Dimensions:

Width Outer Shoulder Area: 22

Width Bottom, Widest Point: 19

Width Inner Shoulder Area: 11

Width Inner Lumbar Area: 10.5

Width Inner Seat Area: 13

Height: 33

So, hopefully this looks like it will fit without any issues at all.

Just in case anyone was wondering:

http://www.sonicmotor.com/Default.asp?Redirected=Y

I'm definitely interested in trying out their "GS" Bride knockoffs, but it'll be awhile before I'm to that point in my build.

If anyone does decide to pick up a set of any of their seats, I'm sure some pics and a quality analysis would be appreciated from many of us onlookers! :)

I have a Sparco Pro 2000 and a Sparco Corsa in my Z...they are listed as 23.4" and 23.8" wide at the wings...they JUST fit in the car and don't rub the door. I haven't tried fitment with the interior door panel on yet, though I don't see why that would be much of an issue as the door panels are so thin.

I mounted both of them as close to the transmission tunnel as possible without making the seating position skewed or getting to the pedals awkward.

I'll be heading down to their shop tomorrow morning actually to test sit/fit their seats. I'm a pretty thin guy and not to tall, so I'll let you know how they all work out for me. The don't come with any rails, but since we'll be cutting them up anyway I think that's ok.

I thought this was a GB but it seems that its not because the price on their site is the same as the price of one seat from the GB? Either way, I'll report back with some pictures and thoughts on the feel of the seats. I'm hoping they turn out to be of at least decent quality. Do we have any write-ups of anyone installing 240sx seats in a 240Z? I searched but couldn't find anything yet.

My best car friend has the bride knockoffs in his car and they are actually pretty decent. The fabric isn't too forgiving to dogs or lots of key action, but for the price, they are pretty dang nice.

Let me know what you think about the P2 or SP2 waist/butt wise... I love the look of the P2 from the back!

Edited by TheMission

My best car friend has the bride knockoffs in his car and they are actually pretty decent. The fabric isn't too forgiving to dogs or lots of key action, but for the price, they are pretty dang nice.

Let me know what you think about the P2 or SP2 waist/butt wise... I love the look of the P2 from the back!

definitely into these seats because they are actually at a price that makes sense. Im athletically built and 5'6 so I'll definitely be looking for one on the smaller size, I definitely want something that fits well. But I cant seem convince myself to buy a non-reclinable seat, the idea of not being able to move my seat forward or backward frightens me, especially since my Z is probably gonna be my daily driver shortly.

Was looking for some Recaro's out of an older BMW 325is, but I'm liking what I'm seeing.

Well, I was able to test fit/sit these babies on Sat and I must say . . . NOT BAD! I will point out that the gradient design is not something I myself would recommend . . . they seem to look cheapy with them gradient. I will also point out that I have already put the $$ down for a set of the GS Recliners . . I ALMOST went for the non-recliners but in the end, I felt I wanted to be able to recline at will rather then move my entire body.

I will also point out that they are not the lightest seat on the market :) They are pretty heavy (the non-recliner is actually VERY LIGHT) but for 220 per seat, what can u expect?

Quality of fabric : Well, I have never sat in a TRUE Bride seat, but these seem to be made pretty good. I myself am going to have the cushions re-made to be a little more fitting (I actually purchased 2 extra sets of cushions from the non-recliner seat because they are actually more comfortable for me.). The fabric itself seemsw pretty nice but not the best, but once again... for the price . . :)

Construction : Didn't get a chance to drop it from the top of their building (They declined) but they seem to be pretty good build quality. The seat sat pretty strong and it didn't feel like it was cheaply made. So, +1 on that!

All in all : I liked them enough to purchase 2 that day. I'm going to have to wait until June to pick them up, but I think it will be worth it. He also mentioned that his seat bracket supplier has the brackets for a 240Z, and when purchasing them with the seats, they let them go for $100 a bracket. I don't know how good of a deal that is, but not having to weld or anything is a big plus for me!

200 dollars for brackets seems insane... but, to those who don't weld, I can get why it's tempting to pay it. That's where they are making profit like crazy, as with the seats, I wonder how much they make a pair in the end.

My bud has those you picked and they are nice... I can sit in them for an hour or more and not be too uncomfortable.

I'm going more for the p2 or sp2 look, but can't make up my mind to go with something from this GB, or super similar ones on Ebay...

I will say, that the SP2 seat was VERY comfortable. Had I not gotten the GS, the SP2 would have been my next choice. It also looked great. (I actually bought the cushions from this seat to switch into my GS, that's how much I like them!) PLUS, they're only 170 a piece. They are also VERY LIGHT! The guy said that this price is the last time it will be this cheap. They're shipping costs are going up and the price on the seats will have to as well. (He may have just been trying to make the sale, but I didn't care. I knew I was going to buy the seats either way. haha 220 a seat looks VERY tempting and shouldn't be to big of a problem.)

So, anyone else's impression on 200 for a pair of brackets for the seats? Is that really too much, or is that the going rate for seat brackets? The seats already come with the sliders, I just need the brackets to bolt them to our frame.

you can make some out of home depot flat stock and just drill for bolts etc and make brackets for $15-20 or weld em up for about the same price

^ Exactly - I made brakets for all my installs of seats, Measure a Little, Bend a little, weld a little (20 bucks!) If you aren't confident welding, you can drill holes through them and bolt the flat stock together!

+

find a shop and have them do them for you after you measure and cut them, bet at most theyd charge you $20 to weld everything...hell i know if i went to a paco exhaust shop with a pack of caronas someone would do it real fast just have it precut and such so they just have to weld it.