HybridZ

Welding Headlight Bucket to Fender - Any lighting ramificati

Guest Willieboy240z

Guest Willieboy240z

I have all but decided to fill in the gap separating the headlight buckets to the fenders. My inspiration comes from the "Black Goddess" displayed on zparts.com.

I am wondering if this will complicate replacing the headlights at some future date. Any other ramifications other than the obvious?

Guest Big Phil

Will,

The headlights mount from the rear under the fender so you wont have any problem changing them.I don't think it will be that hard but removing the entire fender assembly may be more difficult with the two pieces bonded together.

Phil

FWIW, I've removed the fender and bucket as an assembly - not much harder than separate.

The only issue I see is that if the bucket get's tweaked in a minor accident (seems to happen often) you'd have to grind the weld to replace the bucket. Not a huge deal, just something to consider.

I do like the seamless look though!

How about glassing over the seam before painting? If one or the other does get tweaked, the paint and glass are gone anyway. But at least you can separate them if necessary.

I take off the fender with the bucket attached to it too. It's less work.

Owen

Guest Anonymous

the headlight bucket cannot be welded to the fender. They are not steel ( iron product ) as the fender is. This cannot be done. I would suggest trying to find a fiberglass one to attach to a fiberglass fender.

I welded mine up with a MIG. I experimented with brazing but had trouble with warpage, the MIG worked great though. I welded one inch beads every 6 inches or so and plan to fill in the remaining seam with something, my current options are lead, fiberglass, or plastic filler.

Perry

neverending 77Z project

Z pics

Not meaning to pic a nit here, but... Yes, some were metal, some were plastic. My car came with one of each. Not from the factory I'm sure. Probably replaced one from an accident.

The plactic ones are that, not fiberglass. Kind of a strange fiberous composite like material. It was probably going to be a big advance in material science back in the early '70's. Then someone discovered it really wasn't any better and scraped the whole idea. Making them out of metal I'm sure proved cheeper.

I'll be filling in my seams as well. But I have fiberglass fenders. My bodyman told me to get another plastic one. He's not sure what it is either, but believes it will bond better to fiberglass than metal would. Hope he's right. confused2.gif I'll let you know.