HybridZ

New Dash? Dash Cap? Dash Swap

Jozizo

1981 280ZX NA 2+2

The following pics show my current dash. I've searched the forum and I think I'm still a bit confused about my replacement/repair options.

It's in pretty rough shape, and I would like a better look. I'm not a purist, so I don't mind if it isn't the stock dash.

I see that there are several "caps" for around $90. But is that just something you throw over your shabby dash? That seems like more of a bandaid to me.

Then I see that I can buy full replacement dashes for around $1400. That's just silly.

I also see a few posts from people planning on swapping a 240sx dash. There are 5 at the yard I go to, and I'm heading there tomorrow.

So my question is, am I correct about the cap option? My buddy said buy the cap and rip up the old stuff on my dash currently "it would look like new" he says. The logic seems sound, but I don't have much experience in that area.

If swapping is my option that's not the worse news I could get. I don't mind trimming, cutting, kicking it in there. I'm just trying to understand my options a bit better without forking over too much more than I paid for the car.

4582617188_f9f510b289_o.jpg

4582617162_e39a563ce7_o.jpg

4581987323_fc94779af9_o.jpg

4582617090_36a92e496f_o.jpg

Thanks in advance for replies. This forum has been really helpful in my new adventure. I really appreciate it.

I can probably get you a nice clean one for 300 or less + shipping, so 3-400 total, there really isnt anything like original (im no purist) it just looks so much better than a cap. Plus while it might be cheap to do a 240sx dash its ALOT of work, search in here for it. But caps are cheap, just get a full cap if you go that route because the 1/2 caps look...well 1/2 ass

@Kelltainer, Exaclty what I'm looking for. Thanks a ton

@sticky280zx, I greatly appreciate the offer. I prefer to find as many DIY solutions as I can. I have a huge rust problem that is a bit out of my range of ability so am going to be shelling enough money as it is.

Stupid rust.

just FYI i have done many floors and pans for people shoot me a pm or email when you get ready, most shop quotes ive heard are outrageous, even with me flying out somewhere and charging them my rate its normally alot cheaper than a shop.

Sticky is right, i got quoted 1500 for floors and rails.

Im most likely flying him out this summer to work on my car

That and hes naming his first born after me

I have a 83 280zx dash in black with one crack in the center that I would sell to you for 50 dollars plus shipping

just FYI i have done many floors and pans for people shoot me a pm or email when you get ready, most shop quotes ive heard are outrageous, even with me flying out somewhere and charging them my rate its normally alot cheaper than a shop.

Right on. I'm gonna tackle it as soon as I sell my bike (shouldn't be more than a month from now). The part that's got my fear at the moment is the rear. I need to replace the quarter panels/whole rear body. I'm simply not able to do that. I have a welder friend that can do the floors for me, but we are all a little scared of cutting mine and another car in an attempt at replacing the rear body.

The red lines are the cuts I need to get rid of the rust I can't repair.

4589097577_a1f8623f86_o.jpg

Every time I talk about this I get more angry. Most of the rust isn't really that bad. But the kid I bought it from explained that he "does body work for a living, so he knows what he's doing." There wasn't a single rust spot on this car that was actually taken care of. Instead, he just threw bondo on it. And I mean threw it. I can't find any spots where he even tried to smooth it out. And you can see where it just kept growing, more bondo thrown at it, and it kept growing. I simply can't fix any part of the rear.

Sigh....Ok. It's cool. It's a project. It'll be fun.

Might want to look for a new body if its so bad....maybe a coupe this time =) ??? i cant tell untill all the bondo is gone, but i would bet that patching even 5-10 spots would be alot better option that cutting the whole rear of the car.

Actually, I spent a few hours last night taking things apart. It actually looks like I won't have to remove/replace the whole thing after all. I'm still gonna need to cut decent chunks out of another car, but only the skin and not the whole thing.