HybridZ

How to remove/replace Rear Section

Jozizo

I'm taking my car to a few body guys over the next couple weeks to get quotes/solutions. The following problem is something I don't think I can fix myself (unless someone has an idea on how), but I do need to educate myself on the process/solution before I shell out any moneys.

If you look at the following pic, I need to basically remove the rear of another car, and mine and bring the other piece on to mine. There are a few at the JY I can pick up, but I don't know how to remove this section. The red lines are what I need to cut. I can take more if I need to, I just don't know how.

4589097577_a1f8623f86_o.jpg

There are a recent post http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/91334-tail-light-panel/ where z-ya eluded that he had to drill a bunch of holes to get the following piece:

P4260001.jpg

This is what I need with a little more of the sides. Any details/suggestions/info on getting this removed from mine and another car is greatly appreciated.

I should mention that I have a few friends that are welders. I am somewhat handy myself.

I'm taking this to a body guy to consider my return on investment (if it would be worth it to just have someone fix the bad stuff), but I do enjoy doing some of this stuff myself. If I can remove the piece, and I can have a friend weld it, I would do that. If it's not so simple as heading to the JY, spending 10 minutes to remove it and simply welding it back on, well then I'm likely to spend the money.

Do you mean the whole back of the car, or just the rear quarter panel (skin)? To swap the entire back end is not worth the effort. Just find a different car.

Just the skin. Both side panels, and the back butt (I don't know what to call it.) This is my worst case scenario. I had enough time to tear into the sides to get a look at it, but haven't removed the tail lights yet to really asses the butt. So, if I only need the panels, I'm thinking I can just cut them and get them welded. But from the surface, the butt looks pretty rough and I'm afraid I won't be able to "fix" it rather than replace it.

That would be really awesome, but so far my expectations have been pooped on. Where I find rust and think I have it figured, there's more right behind it. I'm trying now to approach this as a "it's even worse than you think it is" mindset. Better to be pleasantly surprised than grossly disappointed.

And getting a new car is not an option. I have a history of setting my mind and doing what I need to do until my goal is met. I could have bought 2 wheels and a shifter and I won't stop until it's all pretty and moving.

You should reconsider. You will spend a lot more money fixing it than just getting a new one.

Normally I would agree; economically speaking. But I didn't get this for economics, it's more of a time killer/fun thing to do. No matter the hobby, you're always going to invest money into it that will not have a return other than personal satisfaction/gratification. That's what I'm looking for with this.

I would like to see it looking nice, running nice, etc. Doesn't need to be a show stopper, but I want to invest my time and money into my hobby, and see something come from the nothing that it currently is. This is why I'm not down with taking it to someone for every issue. I want to put my hands on as many of the issues as I possible can. The only thing I want someone else to handle are the things I simply can not.

Like the dash. I'm not going to buy a new one, or even a used one. I'm going to fix what I have. Same with the rest of the interior and a lot of the other rust issues. If I simply can't handle it due to ability, then I have a few buddies that will help on the cheap. Otherwise, whether I break it or not, it will be of my own accord.

Ya know?

It will be a major task for a nonbodyman , but if you have the tools,the garage,the time and the patience than it is doable. I would start by searching on this site and others( maybe zcar.com) and read up on body work and rust repair . especially body work on your particular year and model z. I have spent literally hundreds of hours researching rust repair before I take on mine this summer.Going to a junkyard and cutting off the back half of a car in 10 minutes is totally unrealistic. Plan on the better part of a day. Take your time and cut the donor car part bigger than you plan on needing. You can trim it down later after you get it back to your garage. Plan on taking the entire back of the car and not just the skin. You never know how far the rust may have gone where you can't see it. If you don't need the entire back you can always pitch what is left over. But better to have it when you need it than to have to go back to the junkyard for another one. Take your time and seek advice if you are not sure and you'll be able to do it, but plan on it taking 10 times longer and 10 times more expensive than you think it will.

If anyone else needs this sort of info, I'm piecing together other posts. As soon as I get into it myself I'll post pics here (this will be easy as my friend will be the guy doing the work, and I'll be the guy with the camera in one hand and a drink in the other :blink:).

Anywho, here is another post with some decent info on doing this.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/81068-removing-rear-fender-on-a-zx/

It seems like a TON of work. And that is oddly exciting to me.

If anyone else needs this sort of info, I'm piecing together other posts. As soon as I get into it myself I'll post pics here (this will be easy as my friend will be the guy doing the work, and I'll be the guy with the camera in one hand and a drink in the other :blink:).

Anywho, here is another post with some decent info on doing this.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/81068-removing-rear-fender-on-a-zx/

It seems like a TON of work. And that is oddly exciting to me.

The removed 240Z rear section you show above is mine. I swapped that onto my 240Z. Believe me, it is a lot of work. I drilled at least 50 spot welds on both the car and the replacement panel. Then I had to mig weld each spot weld. Then all the associated body work. I probably have 50 hours into the job to do everything.

Ok, to remove those panels, you will be drilling out a few hundred spot welds. Get good at it before you hit the junkyard, and take lots of extra batteries for the drill.

Start low, strip all paint to the metal where the rocker meets the dogleg, bottom flange has some spot welds, then up along the wheel well, then the back floor. Come up the inside of the hatch, there is two or four at the butt end, then a row that goes up the side of the hatch area, then you'll need to melt the lead out of the seam from the quarterpanel to roof, and remove the spot welds along the quarter window and the back edge of the door.

It's a LOT of work to remove one without major damage.

Ok, to remove those panels, you will be drilling out a few hundred spot welds. Get good at it before you hit the junkyard, and take lots of extra batteries for the drill.

Start low, strip all paint to the metal where the rocker meets the dogleg, bottom flange has some spot welds, then up along the wheel well, then the back floor. Come up the inside of the hatch, there is two or four at the butt end, then a row that goes up the side of the hatch area, then you'll need to melt the lead out of the seam from the quarterpanel to roof, and remove the spot welds along the quarter window and the back edge of the door.

It's a LOT of work to remove one without major damage.

Awesome. Thanks a ton guys. I really appreciate it. I'll let you know how it goes, when it goes.